Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyeking#8

The One Legged Teal

8 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anyone else has ever came across this. On opener morning I shot a bluewinged teal when i went and picked it up, I noticed it only had one leg and thigh. Crazy.DSCN1812.jpg

I shot a goldeneye last year up in Ontario that was swimming around and diving but never flew. I water-swatted it (the only legitimate excuse I've ever heard for doing such a thing smirk.gif )and when I went and picked it up, I noticed it only had a stub for a leg.

Did crazy.gif you think you could have possibly shot it off...

A couple of years ago I shot a mallard drake with half a foot. Don't drink the water!

Could be a number of things...

Injury, disease, snapping turtle, muskie or pike. grin.gif

More than likely something happened to the bird when it was young and figured out away to survive until it met your #2's.

Last year I shot a leg of of a mallard, one in a 1000 chance. tongue.gif

I looked it over very well and there wasn't even a thigh where the thigh should be. It was feathered over like it never had a leg on that side. Strange but kind of interesting. I am thinking of mounting it this winter. Maybe when i get it mounted and it is completed, I will post a pic of it.

3 times for me a Teal, a Woodie , ans a Mallard. Happens allot to wounded birds. I don't know if it falls off after being wounded or what but it happens allot.