• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

93 Taurus fuel filter???

Ryan_V

Question

Where would I find the fuel filter on this car??? 3 litre engine. It's my run-a-round car with the high gas prices. every once in a while it will spit and sputter and then kill. start it up and it goes just fine....then maybe in a day it'll do it again. now it seems like it's missing once in a while as well. it only does this at stops/slow speeds, never on the highway. I've also noitced the milage drop quite a bit from about 25-26 to 20. my first try will be the fuel filter, anyone have any other ideas??? the car isn't worth that much, but it's in great shape, has only 90XXX miles and gets 25+ mpg when it's running right.

12 answers to this question

Ryan the fuel filter on this is under the car in front of the paasenger rear tire. I would do a tune up ,plugs wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter. This should take care of your missfire. Check the coil wire, pull it off, they tend to get pretty coroded.

If this doesnt take care of it, it could be a fuel pump, or an egr sticking open, you could pull the vac hose off the egr and see if it still does it, if its ok, then its in the egr system.

You also will need spring coupler removal tools and look out for brittle lines! It should be in good shape (low miles), but you never know!

Only other thing I could think of is T.P.S.!

Good luck!

For the fuel filter on the 93, they have replacable plastic clips, this fuel filter you wont need the spring lock tool.

Are they the pull plastic white clips? I know they changed this around that time 93-95!

Fuel filter service on that car is something like 40K miles. If it is plugged your fuel pump is probably toast as well. Had this happen to my F150. I was told if I replaced the fuel filter when I was suppose to it would not have taken out my fuel pump.

Its a very big shot in the dark! I have yet to see a fuel filter cause a failure. It is more preventative than any thing!

I kind of agree, I cant prove that a plugged filter caused the pump to go bad, but it does make it work harder, in theory if its working harder, it wont last long! Fuel filters are cheap and most of the times easy to do, there isnt any excuse to blow them off more than 30k, in my opinion.

I think its pretty rare to have a fuel filter cause any driveability issues. I can recall one for sure on an old astrovan. The complaint was poor acceleration. After checking just about everything with no luck, I checked the fuel filter. Sure enough plugged solid. New fuel filter and it ran like brand new.

I agree that it will likely not solve your problem but it is good maintenance and will most likely prolong the life of the fuel pump.

Heres some info on what happens to a fuel pump when it fails What happens when a fuel pump fails

Quote:

Its a very big shot in the dark! I have yet to see a fuel filter cause a failure. It is more preventative than any thing!

Mechanic said it was the bad fuel filter. I think it was the planned obsolescence bomb. I bought the 70K warranty and the pump went out at 70100 miles.

Its a hit or miss with failed parts! If you change fuel filter every 30k, pump will last. Some times they go for no reason though!

I have seen a clogged fuel filter cause a pump to fail before, but not a sole reason for a drive concern (minus Airjer's Astro)!