Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wink72

Fishing Report

3 posts in this topic

Spent the weekend at the cabin this past weekend. The weather was great during the day...but plenty of rain in the evening...had to bilge the boat for 20 minutes at 4 am.

The fishing was not super hot...but good none the less. Fished dead shiners on jigs (pink was the best). We caught most of the fish in 24-32 feet of water...the largest being 23 inches. The fish were biting soft...there was definitely not the familiar tap tap....but more like your jig was being held back a bit...not like a rock snag..but dragging it through mud....I guess I learn something new about this lake every time I am up on the best lake in the world.

Hey Wink,

Glad to hear you were able to make it up to the cabin this time of year. Arguably my favorite time of year in the north country. I think you made a very good point when it comes to the bite. I haven't noticed much of a catch slowdown, but at times notice a big difference in the bite itself. Yes we all love when those fish are truly snapping. Most anglers will put many fish in the boat when they are in a true feeding frenzy. With that being said many anglers will struggle when the bite is a much more subtle one, and say the bite is off. I've been close to other boats on countless occassions this year catching walleyes and crappies only to watch them try literally fish out of our boat. Trust me often times it isn't the spot rather the subtle presentation that triggers the bite. If your not in tune with what it may feel like it will be a long day or trip for you in some occassions. Often times a crappie bite will be a bite up in which you will simply lose tension with your jig. Immediately set the hook as these fish will spit the jig as quickly as they inhaled it. Walleyes on the other hand often hit on the down fall. Keep some tension while casting and retrieving when you let your jig settle. I often see people make the mistake of flat out rip jigging vertically with a tough bite. Many times a slow lift and hold or swing of the jig will be the key to trigger the inactive fish. Last but not least invest in a good walleye and crappie rod. For walleye over the side I like to use a 6 ft med lite action with fireline, and a 7ft med lite for casting. My personal preference is in the St. Croix series excluding the premier. If you are fishing mono with a so so rod good luck as is DOES make a difference. Good Fishing!

RD

RD

Thanks RD. I know what you are saying about the right rod. I was fishing a medium light Fenwick with mono...and I think that was a bit weak...trying to set a hook in 35 feet of water. It was sensitive enough, but I was worried about the quality of the set.

Your comments about jigging are great. Actually, I never had much luck on Rainy jigging like crazy. Jigging very slow and with a lot of rest in between has always been the ticket for me...even in the hottest of bites.

Wink