Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz

Is the river hot yet???

10 posts in this topic

We're heading up next weekend and was wondering if the shinners and the walleyes that follow them are in the river... Any info wouild be helpful.... Kaz

we were up last weekend. Tried the river for 5 hours at different spots. Not much action. Never saw any other fish caught either. Tried 4 mile bay ,not a nibble,went to the gap ,several boats anchored there,but again, slow as could be. wind was really blowing Thurs,Fri,and Sat.so lake fishing was out for me.Saw Gunner go out sunday morning, but we were heading home then. Let us know how you have it.

Friday was excellent for us. Pulled cranks and that seemed to work the best. Nice fish - nothing huge but the bite was very good.

Thanks Guys.. Going up anyhow to drain the place and get ready of the first ice.... Kaz

Hey Kaz. Computer has been acting up since Friday and I was up to the Winnepeg area for a bit visiting relatives over the weekend. Internet is working so far today yeehaw, Yahoo mail still goofy though.

Late recap of last couple weeks fishin.....Typical late September early October so far it seems. One day darn good the next a bit tougher, then throw on a way slow one. As always this time of year the fish seem to come in waves with lulls inbetween. Reliable morning bite out front of Pine with the obligatory sorting of weee fish, seems to wain out there around noonish. Water temps were running mid to upper fifties but with this nice cold snap those temps should be falling good now and hopefully them big girls will be showing up heavy soon in the river. I have'nt seen a fish over 25 yet myself, have'nt been up past Wabanica either. I took a skunkin Wednesday evening....2 bites in 2 hours, both a swing and a miss!!! Last Saturday was a tough one too with that wind, high point of that day was a 13.5 inch Crappie. Monday was one of those banner days, fickle bite on the lake but some jig/bait tricks got em going good out there. That afternoon anchored in the river was fantastico, and so was the weather that day.

Weather is looking good for you this weekend anyhow.

Good luck, maybe see you out there.

Norm

Fisky: Yes the days differed quite a lot!! Curt was right on with his suggestions though.. Sunday was GREAT.. Monday was a little slow in the rain, that wouldn't quit, and the the cold wind didn't help either.. Now the good, limited on Sunday by noon, ATE GREAT, got tired and hung out at the Place. Monday wasn't bad, but not like Sunday.. Got up this morning to SNOW, 4 inches of it. Left at 4AM and didn't get to Bemidji until 8AM. At times we were going only 40mph, but we were pulling the Sporty home for the winter... Now we're ready for the Ice!!! See you all up there for the first ICE... Kaz

Kaz,

Great to see you again, thanks for the brew. Glad

the fish stayed put, I will be back this weekend with my

brother, a couple of his friends and the Cat Man.

Is it only Wednesday?

Whoops, guess I was mixed up. Thought you were coming this weekend so I won't see you till winter now. Glad to here you got the Sporty all tucked in for the winter.

We were up there on Oct 5,6,7...

The fifth was pretty good, the sixth we worked for them, and on Sunday we only fished for a few hours in the morning and it was pretty slow. I think the weather being so unstable didn't help matters. Lots of boats in the Gap, Four Mile Bay,and the river...all anchored up jigging shinners. Lots of fun...it was my first time up there...It won't be the last.

We fished from 17 to 22 FOW...most success being in the 19 foot range. No trophies but nice sized fish. I need to get back up there later this month! smile.gif

Hey Kaz, sounds like you pulled the plug for the summer 'eh. We're doing that this weekend. I really hate to see it come to a close, it was a fantastic summer with loooots of C/R fish. Headed once again to SD next week for the opener. Reports are numbers are way up so should be a good time with the three boys and two short hairs. Even with large numbers I've been known to miss my share, I prefer to call it shoot and release, makes for a better excuse. Won't be long and the water will be solid once more. Maybe this winter we can cross paths our first trip is 12/26, but you'll probably be in sunny Florida again by that time. Take care. Bill