• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallie slaughter? *DELETED*

Keeping a smallmouth is no different than keeping a walleye, oike or crappie out of Rainy. Tons of them and a little selctive harvest is a good thing.

Dont catch me wrong I dont keep them either, they dont taste very good in my opinion, but I will keep some pike, crappie, perch etc. every once in a while for the pan. If its legal for them to keep them then so be it.

Oh and I believe these people were probably not the norm for Rainy.

Hey Mizefish,

To set the record straight I have no involvement with that group, and personally do not keep smallmouth bass. on a second note there aren't any other guides in the picture. Seems the DNR are setting allowable harvest limits on all species of fish. I also feel it is a unfair comparison between a musky and a smallmouth bass? For the record my personal trophy fish are walleye. Yet most keep them? I will say that it appears this group pretty much laid the wood to the fish that day, yet am not sure what they are planning on doing with the smallies. Seems like a lot of garden fertilizer in my mind.

RD

Keeping a smallie is nothing like keeping a muskie. A lakes biomass structure ( a pyramid ) is going to have a ton more walleye and bass then muskies. I say increase the limits on smallmouth. They are a stocked fish that shouldn't be up here anyways, keep em in Chicago rivers. If you really want to do something about preserving smallmouth, especially big smallmouth, lets get the opener pushed back so people aren't picking the hogs off of there beds in the spring.

Rainydaze, maybe I missed something but I didn't read where Mizefish called you out nor did he state that you had anything involvement in the photo. Was there a post deleted?I'm not trying to defend him, infact I disagree with his assertion that smallies are in any kind of danger of being over harvested. As`you stated the DNR is on top of things at Rainy and if a problem with the smallie population came up they would deal with it as quickly as they could.

Mizefish, as far as not catching smallies while walleye fishing my guess is that, as most walleye fishermen, you are fishing deeper than smallies prefer. I normally won't catch them unless I get shallower than about 20 feet and infact they can be a nuisance at times. Whenever I do catch one they go right back. I might make an exception for a state record, but I also wouldn't want to put a bigger target on Rainy than in already has.

HI MIZ.,

NORTHLANDER IS CORRECT, RAINY IS LOADED WITH SMALLIES. ALOT OF FOLKS FISH SMALLIES LIKE WE MINNESOTANS FISH WALLEYES. MOST OF THESE FISHERMAN ARE NOT FROM OUR AREA. I HONESTLY DO NOT KNOW A SINGLE LOCAL WHO TARGETS SMALLIES TO EAT., AND IF YOU GET SOME FOLKS UP HERE KEEPING SMALLIES ONCE IN AHWILE...YOU ARE NOT EVEN DENTING THE POPULATION. I DO KNOW SOME IMMIGRANTS IN SOUTHERN MN. ARE KEEPING EVERYTHING, AND IF WE HAD ALOT OF THAT GOING ON, THEN OUR SMALLIE SUPPLY WOULD DWINDLE. THE OTHER THING, UNTILL THE D.N.R. PUTS RESTRICTIONS ON SIZE, DIFFERENT BAG LIMITS, THOSE FOLKS ARE WITHIN THEIR LEGALS RIGHTS TO TAKE THE ALLOWABLE LIMIT.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I dont like to eat fish except for once or twice a year on a fishing trip. That said, I think Rainy is big enough and has enough of a population to support some harvest of smallmouth.

That group of 6 guys probably pumped $2,000-6,000 into the economy. That is $100/smallie.

I would not lose sleep over it.

Smallies are also my favorite sport fish and while I don't care to see them eaten, I can tell you that harvest on Rainy is low. If you care to post your email address I can give you a lot more specific information concerning pressure and estimated harvest.

Dave, I feel the same way about eating fish, and your other points are 100% valid, too, especially the economical angle. Didn't mean to sound so Nancy-pants about harvesting fish, but did you see the photo? I just hope they got eaten, otherwise it seems like a waste.

Quote:

There's a psyhcological protection factor we've come to embody for species like muskie and smallmouth. We love them so much, we would never think of killing one.

Somewhere, a half billion Hindu's just chuckled. They feel the same way about cows.

B.A.S.S. created the drive for catch and release. They did a great job. Bass are easy to exploit at certain times of the year, and we all like to see the genetics improve by releasing the bigguns.

That said; a few days of smallies out of a pond like Rainy is a drop in the ocean.....

Alright I must reply and I'm going to offend some, sorry. I must be incorrect in thinking this but.. A smallmouth Bass is a sport fish if you want to keep meat. Fish for something else. It seems that those who love to Bass fish would never keep one. But those who don't target them think its fine to keep them for meat. its not illegal? But? Is it right? I don't Muskie fish but that doesn't mean I just keep and kill them because I could care less about a Muskie. Because I know Muskies are important to others and their passion. I guess all I can do is if woody supports his clients/guests keeping Bass I just won't stay there again. I will spend my money other places.

Hey Mize,

I understand. I just wanted to make sure all following the post didn't misunderstand. I like to keep enough fish for a fish fry. I will say that it is quite uncommon to see a mess of smallies heading for the knife. At the same time will echo the fact that this lake boasts a large population of smallmouth bass, and most individuals are like yourself and release the fish. Personally I wish a few more people would chase smallies, so I can catch those big eyes all by myself. Ha! Good Fishing!

RD

We only come up once a year, and will generally target smalls a half day maybe. We will generally eat one or two while we're up there at camp, but 99% of them go back in. You guys grow them so big up there it's unbelievable. Got one this year that looked like a football!

So who makes the determination that Smallies are the sport fish in which you should be ashamed to keep? Is it the multi million dollar industry with flashy boats that has made this once ordinary fish seemingly sacred. Makes me wonder. Maybe I consider the yellow perch a sport fish? Should I be offended if you display a catch heading for the table? Are you disgusted with a a group of guys displaying a catch of walleyes? If not are walleyes less important than smallies? I've made it quite clear that I don't keep smallies, and frankly don't keep them for tablefare because I tried one once and thought it tasted like crap, but will not lay the boom on someone who wants to eat them. I think it is a bit harsh of you to hold a resort owner responsible for fish there guests legally catch also. With that being said there probably isn't any resort you could stay at with that line of thinking. Once again to reiterate there is no shortage of smallies in Rainy. With one group keeping a limit, and most releasing them there will be boatloads for you to catch and release.

RD

C&R is personal choice made by the individual fisherman. I do not fault anyone for advocating thier preference and encouaging others to follow thier lead, but I think one should stop short of critizing another group of fisherman from taking a legal limit of fish if they choose to.

Not that my opinion matters much, but if you go out to woody's site and look at the photo, which i was unable to enlarge, all but a few of the smallies are not exactly trophies. My guess is 2-3 pounds. Nice fish, but not something that is going to irreparably harm the fishery or the gene pool for that matter. While i personally would not keep them, I feel that it is their right to do so as long as they caught them legally and honestly. Now if it were 36 4-6 lb trophies, I may feel a little forlorn about it, but still their right to do so. We had a group up in early summer and did catch a mess of 3-4 pounders with a

5 1/4 pound toad mixed in. I am proud to say they all still reside in the lake, with the exception of one which was annihilated by a pike as we got her to the boat. I suppose pike are not too concerned about smallmouth as bad table fare.

Loon taste a lot like bald eagle (so i have been told smile.gif )

we spend a week each summer on rainy and all we target is smallies (we usually eat a couple each day for shore lunch) and take our small limit home. We take pics of the bigger ones and let them swim, but I know lots of people that only keep the larger ones. Someone once told me it takes almost 13yrs to get a rainy smallie to 19 inches... but I have never had a problem getting enough 12 inchers for lunch or to take home. I leave my limit of eyes/slimmers in rainy and figure it all avgs out. If they want to keep a legal limit of a fish and they eat them, so be it in my book.

Bitz

RWB, Woody's is a great outfit, and it would be a mistake to assume everything on their site reflects the opinions of the management. A resort owner has a million things to do each day, and can't control or even dictate the actions of his guests...especially when we're talking about LEGAL harvest. If you've had good experiences a Woody's I hope you continue going there. I appreciate his site, and visit the photo gallery almost every day. I'd hate to think this thread cost him your business. I'm an Island View guy, but might just have to get out the credit card tomorrow and order some Woody Gear for the family.

Hey Mize!

I was watching the River runs through it at the same time! Ha! Great show! I love when he hooks that big trout and heads down river. I boated a 50 inch Sturgeon last nite fishing for eyes on the river, and it took us a good mile down the river on my light tackle. Didn't jump out of the boat though! I'm an independant guide, and pick people up at the dock at all the resorts as well as here on Tilson across from my home. Woody is a character to say the least. He grew up on this lake and knows it like the back of his hand. a few weeks ago we had a group in which called for 2 guides. Mid morning he came up to my boat and said follow me. we reeled up and headed out side by side. I fished 2 humps I never knew existed. When we got to the first one I immediately programmed it in my X-15 GPS system. Of course I had to quickly name it, and my GPS was making all sorts of beeps! I was trying to be kind of sly about it! He looked over at me and smiled as it was a small hump and we were fishing in close proximity! Never fished this spot he asked? Nope I replied! The guys in my boat were laughing as I named it Woody 007. By the way we landed some pigs on that spot! Good Fishing! Thanks to Woody's for keeping us all entertained! Also Thanks to the Fishing Queen for placing the pictures on the site for us all to enjoy! Good Fishing!

RD

Bass are the ultimate freshwater fish. They hit surface lures, crankbaits fished mid-depth & hair jigs fished on the bottom. No need to drag live bait around on the bottom to catch these beauties (but they hit that too!)

And when you hook one, you know it. As Dr. Henshall said in his 1903 book,

henshall.jpg

On Rainy it takes far too long to grow a 17 inch bass. I caught one that was tagged. Sent tag number in to Ontario DNR. Turns out it was caught seven years early in the bass tourney. I had grown one inch since tagged!

I know it is legal to kill a limit of bass on the Minnesota side of Rainy. But is it really necessary on Rainy? While everybody has the right to kill a bass, we also have the right to promote catch & release.

And why does the North Arm in Canada have better bass fishing than the Minnesota side? Could it be they have more restrictions on harvest of bass? (Like catch and release only during the spawn.) I don't care how big the lake is, harvest of bass hurts the fishing.

If you have any doubts about how much better bass fishing gets when catch & release is practiced, check out Chequamegon Bay on Lake Superior. Bass grow big there but like Rainy it takes forever to reach 20 inches. But since they have changed the rules to one fish a day over 22 inches, the bass fishing is awesome.

Probably hurts the tourism right? Wrong. Anglers come from all over the country to fish the Bay and release every fish.

Eat a burger or a pike. Release those bronze beauties to give someone else a thrill.

Just to put a different perspective on things. I think we, the individual angler, need to take a page out of the DNR handbook and manage lakes as opposed to species. What I mean by that is; Rainy is large enough to support a large number of smallmouth and still support a large number of walleyes whereas smaller lakes cannot support both. I fish smaller bodies of water that once held good populations of walleye’s but now seem to support only smallmouth. Smallmouth are much more aggressive than walleye and will run the walleye off reefs or any other structure holding baitfish. Talk to anyone who fishes the B’dub regularly and they’ll tell you that the smallmouth are taking over the lakes. Personally, I think we need to encourage people to keep some smallmouth from these lakes to help balance the power between the two species, heck everyone throws back the smallies and keeps the walleyes. I have made many trips into the B’dub where smallies have been the main course of many a meal. And a 1.5 – 2 lb smallmouth fried up tastes no different than a crappie. So, to make a short statement even longer; blush.gif I think We need to stop making it taboo to keep a few smallies and start encouraging it where it makes sense to do so.

Please don't keep any crappies, walleyes or pike either. These are my favorite fish.

RD

They say that the cold water carp from Rainy Lake are better in the garden than suckers or smelt!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Minnesota has it right when it comes to smallmouth regs. Isn't it catch and release only after September first? Wish Ontario was the same. Any good smallmouth angler worth their grain should know how vulnerable large spawn laden smallmouth are in the fall. The fish should be protected from early fall till after the spawn. Protect the fish, they make more fish. Keep the smaller ones for the fry pan when it's sporting to keep them, the smaller ones taste better anyway. Not much of a debate. We have abused these fisheries enough and maybe someone should say "no more" once in a while. It seems like we always have to learn the hard way. Kill the lake first them feel bad later. We've done it before on Rainy.

Jackfish