• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deep cycle batts...now or spring?

cjac

Question

Hi all,

My deep cycles are fading after 5 years, so I can't complain I guess. Question is, if I replace now does the 4-5 months of idle time over the winter hamper their long term life? Yes, I'll periodically charge, but am I potentially losing long term life by replacing now vs. waiting 'til spring? I can likely make it thru the rest of the fall season, but I also don't want to have battery life cut a day down on the water.

Any input is much appreciated.

Chris

5 answers to this question

I would wait until spring and save yourself the worry. Its not like they are cheaper now or anything. Unless you find a real good sale some place. I will recomend Interstate Batteries. Not only because they are great batteries but because I have been very happy with the service I get from them.

Spring, and then be sure to check the date codes to be sure you're getting fresh ones - not the leftovers from now.

Grantee starts when you buy it. It would be a bummer to have one quit on you just after it went out of warranty knowing they just sat for the first 6 months frown.gif

I use my two deep cycle batteries in my ice house and in the spring back into the boat they go. While ice fishing I have never used up both batteries, even on 4 day weekends. So I buy may batteries when ever I need one.

I agree with bill. If you can wait until spring get them then. Buy them fresh and get the most out of the warranty (even thought they will be sitting idle next winter anyways)