Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
idapaul

camping next summer

8 posts in this topic

getting started planning a trip for next summer and would like recommendations as to timing.we would like to island camp and would like to get into some good northern and maybe some lakers. i an familliar with crane ,sandpoint,namakan and kabetogama. entry points could be crane,ash trail or kab, where ever i can find a good deal on a boat rental.it is just me and a buddy from connecticut and we are just trying to find a time when we have the best chance of a good constant bite.i have the most experience at fishing the canadian side of sandpoint and namakan as i have been going to the scout camp off clearwater bay for 12 years now. fished kab 6 times.any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

You are going to have a tough time with lakers. I won't say they are nonexistant in Crane, Sand Point or Namakan but they are very, very, very few and far between. Actually they are even rarer than noted. I fished Namakan for over 25 years and only heard one story of a laker being caught. There is a lake to the east with, if I remember correctly, access through Sand Point that is reported to have a fair population of lakers. I've only been in there once and it was an exploratory trip with little time spent fishing.

I would go early in the season (late May). Google Crane Lake to get options on boat rental. You might call Andersond Sporting Goods in Orr for some first hand info. Good people.

Mukooda Lake is stocked with lake trout. That's your best bet.

nbr; if the lake you are talking about is off of clearwater bay on sandpointit is called david lake. i fish it when ever i get up there with scouts and it has a pretty good population of 3-5 lbs lakers.we manage to catch them in july and august. thanks for the response i was beginning to think i wouldn't get one at all

Nobody has mentioned that David Lake is in Ontario. Next year you will have to have a passport to cross back into the US after being in Canada. You must have an Ontario license, and check into Canadian customs before fishing David. Early spring is the best time to get into David, as the water goes down so do your chances of getting in. The channel has a sandbar, stumps, and some whooper rocks to contend with, but it is a beautiful little lake. It also has some great pike, smallmouth, and walleyes as well.

tbomn; i proabably should have mentioned it but every time i go there i already am in canada at the scout camp just up clearwater bay from david. i also like going into mud turtle and lilac lakes on the canadian side, short portages and good fishing

I would assume you are talking about the scout camp on Little David, right off Clearwater Bay. It is always interesting to see all the scouts leave Handbergs and make their way up to the camp. I have been watching them for about 20 years as I live in Crane Lake on a houseboat slipped at Handbergs and guide the waters of the Namakan basin. I feel so fortunate to live in God's country....and the fishin' ain't bad either. wink.gif Next time you are up our way, stop in the store at Handbergs and have Lori call me on the radio, or Voyagaire office and have Jim or Gretchen get hold of me, we can hook up and share some stories.

tbomn;the scout trip only happens every other year to give every body in the council a chance to go and i was just there this past summer. been going up there for 12 years. i am our groups fishing instructor. not sure what i am going to do this summer but if i get up that way i'll look you up. on the off year i usually lead a group of guys and we have been going to eagle lake but price is getting to be a little much for me. the year i do scouts it costs me 150 and eagle costs me 900. got to find something in between.