• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

camping next summer

getting started planning a trip for next summer and would like recommendations as to timing.we would like to island camp and would like to get into some good northern and maybe some lakers. i an familliar with crane ,sandpoint,namakan and kabetogama. entry points could be crane,ash trail or kab, where ever i can find a good deal on a boat rental.it is just me and a buddy from connecticut and we are just trying to find a time when we have the best chance of a good constant bite.i have the most experience at fishing the canadian side of sandpoint and namakan as i have been going to the scout camp off clearwater bay for 12 years now. fished kab 6 times.any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

• 1 month later...

You are going to have a tough time with lakers. I won't say they are nonexistant in Crane, Sand Point or Namakan but they are very, very, very few and far between. Actually they are even rarer than noted. I fished Namakan for over 25 years and only heard one story of a laker being caught. There is a lake to the east with, if I remember correctly, access through Sand Point that is reported to have a fair population of lakers. I've only been in there once and it was an exploratory trip with little time spent fishing.

I would go early in the season (late May). Google Crane Lake to get options on boat rental. You might call Andersond Sporting Goods in Orr for some first hand info. Good people.

nbr; if the lake you are talking about is off of clearwater bay on sandpointit is called david lake. i fish it when ever i get up there with scouts and it has a pretty good population of 3-5 lbs lakers.we manage to catch them in july and august. thanks for the response i was beginning to think i wouldn't get one at all

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody has mentioned that David Lake is in Ontario. Next year you will have to have a passport to cross back into the US after being in Canada. You must have an Ontario license, and check into Canadian customs before fishing David. Early spring is the best time to get into David, as the water goes down so do your chances of getting in. The channel has a sandbar, stumps, and some whooper rocks to contend with, but it is a beautiful little lake. It also has some great pike, smallmouth, and walleyes as well.

tbomn; i proabably should have mentioned it but every time i go there i already am in canada at the scout camp just up clearwater bay from david. i also like going into mud turtle and lilac lakes on the canadian side, short portages and good fishing

I would assume you are talking about the scout camp on Little David, right off Clearwater Bay. It is always interesting to see all the scouts leave Handbergs and make their way up to the camp. I have been watching them for about 20 years as I live in Crane Lake on a houseboat slipped at Handbergs and guide the waters of the Namakan basin. I feel so fortunate to live in God's country....and the fishin' ain't bad either. wink.gif Next time you are up our way, stop in the store at Handbergs and have Lori call me on the radio, or Voyagaire office and have Jim or Gretchen get hold of me, we can hook up and share some stories.

tbomn;the scout trip only happens every other year to give every body in the council a chance to go and i was just there this past summer. been going up there for 12 years. i am our groups fishing instructor. not sure what i am going to do this summer but if i get up that way i'll look you up. on the off year i usually lead a group of guys and we have been going to eagle lake but price is getting to be a little much for me. the year i do scouts it costs me 150 and eagle costs me 900. got to find something in between.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.