Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EEBS

St. Louis River Duck Hunting

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a question for whoever can answer. I have a mn waterfowl license and my buddy has a wisoncin waterfowl license. Is it possible for both of us to hunt the St. Louis River out of Duluth? I called the DNR and didnt get a clear answer.

also: opening weekend was a success 26 ducks and 1 goose, not on the st. louis though, just thought id throw that in there

Good question, but if the DNR doesn't give you a clear answer over the phone I don't know if I would try it determined on an internet answer though this is the best place on the internet to ask. If I were you I would go to the closest DNR office to you and asked a CO in person.

ELE

You cannot cross hunt the rivers with State licenses like you can while fishing, where either states license on a shared border water gives you access to the entire water. You must abide by the states boundries (usually, but not always, the center line of the channel).

So in other words if you want to hunt both sides of the river, you need both licenses. Unless there is a sand bar directly on the State boundry line... Then I guess you may have an argument with a CO.

Good Luck!

Ken

Have fun hunting in the Estuary. There was a thread in the Ely-Duluth-Range forum about that this summer....it gets pretty heated up there with people putting blinds on public water and fighting over hunting in them. That and there are lots of people and lots of skybusters.

You have to have a Wisconsin license. The MN side is all city of Duluth(city uses the State line for its line) and discharging a firearm is not allowed. I have spoken with the local CO about this very subject and this is his interpetation. To me, $95 to hunt down there is a lot and since I have never went down there, I don't know what I'm missing. There was a good article in the DNT last Sunday about hunting there that made me think about it though...

yeah, it seems like more trouble then its worth, 95 dollars isnt worth it, and yeah i heard it can get heated there, i have a CO's # but she never answers i guess ill have to head north, i went grouse hunting near duluth last night, hunters everywhere, no luck