• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips. We're going to the state park there, and I want to get as much fishing in as possible. I know it's a trout river. I'm not a huge trout fisherman, I live in Minneapolis so not much trout action down here, but the little trouting I've done I've been fairly successful. What else is in there? Is it really known for anything?

Any info will be very helpful.

Thanks

Spent my time on the Manitou fly-fishing for trout. There is big enough water in the holes to hold some walleyes and northerns, though I've never fished for (or accidently) caught anything other than brookies. My buddy likes to throw small mepps through the holes. This time of year should interest anything that might be holding in 'em.

Stream trout (in streams) is closed as of today. I doubt there's much else in there - it's not a large river by any means.

Also, the river literally flows over a waterfall into Lake Superior so there is no lake-run fishery. Access to the lower river is really tricky, as well, with a lot of private land to deal with.

Crosby-Manitou State Park does have a small lake (Benson) that is stocked with splake. No motors, however.

THere are a bunch of lakes outside the park but nearby that are worth fishing (Ninemile, Echo, Wilson) for eyes, pike, and trout. Even a few muskies in Crooked though it hasn't been stocked since the early 80s.

Nice area. Was up there last Friday.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Good catch thistlekicker.

I'll second the area lakes for eyes. Or a trip to the Baptism, Temperance, Cross or Cascade rivers for Fall Run Salmon.

A question I've been wondering about for a while...when you're driving into Finland on HW1 coming over the hill from 61, you can see some kind of big structure up on a hill to the north of town. Looks industrial. Is this taconite related?