Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Labby

New to Grouse Huntin

13 posts in this topic

I have not had much sucsees the past few years chasing grouse. I know the cycle is starting to peak. I have a place around (Contact Us Please) and would like some info regarding areas to hunt around (Contact Us Please) and Mcgreagor-Mcgrath areas. What type of cover is best? I have a pointing lab who works great on ringnecks so I dont see any issues with him on grouse.

thanks

Lab

Welcome to the wonderful world of grouse hunting!

A few things, I've never hunted grouse over a pointing lab, but grouse won't take the pressure of a dog that points close up and personal. You need a dog(and this may include your lab) that locks up at first scent and holds. If a dog creeps in for a better nose full the bird is gone! In my experience I found that dogs that work off ground scent have trouble pointing grouse......That being said and at the risk of violent responses. There are dogs from all breeds that can and do handle grouse. So to each their own

When you're out chasing grouse you want to think edges! By edges I mean where the woods meets a swamp or low area or a mature forest meets a 5 year old clear cut. Work those edges! This means you have to get off the trail sometimes and bust some brush. Stay out of mature woods for the most part, you can run into birds there on occasion but the lack of ground cover makes them uneasy and jumpy.

The area you're hunting has plenty of birds. Just get out there and see what that dog ca do. If you would like to hunt behind a setter you're more than welcome to tag along with me someday.....I hunt that area alot

Get some lead in the air you just never know!

Good luck.....Uplander

Check out this grouse tips thread from long ago.

gspman......do your dogs handle grouse?

Yes, but not always well. She sometimes puts too much pressure on them instead of stopping right away at first scent. Good lessons for her to stay honest on her birds.

Even the great grouse dogs have trouble from time to time. Like early in the season, sometimes the first of the day is a problem...I also think some times the scenting conditions are just bad and dogs just can't smell them in time. It all factors in. That's what makes them such a challenge to hunt and why I love it......Have a great season...uplander

Yep, grouse ain't easy. My dog picked up a really bad habit this spring on pen raised birds during hunt tests that will make grouse even harder. Those pen raised birds are too much temptation and she loosened up a lot on her staunchness. A few wild birds and a couple of discussions with me will hopefully cure that problem.

They really are the ultimate game bird... IMHO. wink.gif... plus ...they taste better than ANY other. Hey Uplander... What is your tally so far? I am going to start my count this weekend. Shall we say a bottle of Jag to he who drops the most? wink.gif

Uplander... whomever wins has to share wink.gif

Seriously ... There isnt much more exciting than walking up on a dog that pointing so intense that it is quivering...waiting for the GROUSE THUNDER to erupt through the woods...Then...Later that night enjoying the taste of a fresh grouse grilled to perfection next to a camp fire with a bunch of friends.

So like uplander says...hit the edges...Look for 4-5 year old clear cuts...find gravel in the late afternoon...and go where no man has gone before wink.gif... deeper the better. Good dogs make a world of difference. Good luck.

Your on Dragon.....I'll start from zero today

Oh yeah I'm on the way out the door right now so have fun at work!!!!! Let the games begin!

Good luck!...Maybe I will see ya tonight.