Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Wensel

Shot placement ?

Wensel

Ok, I have a new set out, 25 feet of the ground on the side of a steep hill. My shot will be only 18 yards away from the base of my tree but it will be a 45 foot drop, givin the height of my stand and the terrain? How do you aim??? tongue.gif

Deitz Dittrich

No doubt about it, that would be a hard shot... ITs going to be very very hard to get both lungs because of the angles.

fishwithteeth

I would shoot at the base of the neck where it meets the shoulders.

harvey lee

I might consider a different tree or location. This will be a very diffucult shot to make.

VMS

I keep both eyes open, look through the peep and align it with my desired pin. tongue.gif

Any possibility you could move the stand down about 15 feet? Then you'd be in a much better position to take a better shot. 45 feet...man...My toes would be tingling and I think my nose might bleed... You're over 4 stories up...

I'd really hate it if there was any sort of wind...

Steve

fishermatt

Aim for the exit wound.

fishwithteeth

I want to retract my answer - I was thinking rifle/shotgun confused.gif Personally, if I were up that high, I would cry until the fire truck came to save me grin.gif Tough shot with a bow!

solocam

One of my best spots that I hunt is exactly like this. The tree that I sit in is at the top of a ridge and the main trail is at the bottom about 20 yards from the base of my tree. The first two deer that I shot at in this stand location went under the chest as I sat in disbelief. I tried to go lower in the tree but then when the deer looked up the ridge I got busted. I found that I needed to aim high on the chest and now I shot at least one a year out of that tree.Best of luck. Dale

Royce Aardahl

20 yard pin low.

Wensel

Wow

Thanks for all the input, Solocam hit it right on its a perfect set and its my only option.

I'll take your advise and thanks to all...

harvey lee

I really believe that if you are taking a shot at that steep of an angle you will have a very iffy shot at best. Many times archers cannot adjust or guess at where they need to place their pin. I would really look for another spot where one can get a better, more high percentage shot and not have to be real concerned about crippling the deer.

Not to pick apart anyones choice of shot but, when one is shooting at that steep of an angle, one is only guessing where to place the pin. This is a true recipe for disaster and a wounded deer.

Why not find a stand location where one does not have to take the chance of a crippled deer?? Very few archers are so good that they can make this shot with a good chance of hitting the kill zone.

Studer

Build a ground blind around the base of the tree. You definetely wouldn't have a problem with wind!!! And you wouldn't be skylined either.... smile.gif

solocam

I agree with HL, You should find another spot if you can but if you can not you should practice that shot. I forgot to tell you that in my reply. I have spent a lot of time practicing that shot. One of the biggest problems that people have on a shot like this is bending at the waist.

If I could figure out how to post pictures on this thing I would show you a buck that was shot out of this stand by my hunting partner on opener.

solocam

Hope this works

DSC00169.jpg

harvey lee

Darn nice bick there. Congrats.

so haaad

Yep, very nice.

fishermatt

Wensel, is there a way you could practice shooting from this stand? If you brought a deer target out to your spot, maybe in the middle of the day, then you could practice from your actual stand. That would be the most reliable way of figuring out where to aim.