Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Steckelberg

moving to new areas

9 posts in this topic

how many times do you all hunt one area before moving on to new areas(even if there is sign of deer but not seeing them)

I try to keep my hunts down to a mininum, if I have other alternatives. I have been doing quite a few one or two day hunts on WMA's scattered along with my private land hunts.

Unless I am really targeting one certain buck, I really try to leave as little information that I was there that I can.

I think the bigger question is how many other choices do you have?

i have 4 different areas that i hunt, both private and wma's..i am just curious what others do.. i usually hunt 3 or 4 times at one stand then move to a new area and make my rounds until i end up back at the first area...unless of course like you said targeting a certain buck

I never hunt the same stand 2 days in a row. The deer will get educated very fast on whats going on. You may not see the deer there but they will probably see you or hear or small your scent. I always try to hunt a different locations every day to noty educate those deer.

I'm with Harvey, I like to have many stand sights and alternate stands according to the wind, deer will turn nocturnal on you in a hurry if you over hunt an area.

This is one nice thing about a climber stand!!! You can move all over the place. especially if one night you see them coming out farther away, all you have to do is set up closer and with minimal noise and time too!!!

I'm new out here and I was wondering how many of you guys hunted the WMA's becuase as of yet thats the only place I've found that I can hunt. After trying unsucessfully to gain private land permission each year, usually if the land owner allows hunting, someone already has permission to hunt that land ( you guys grin.gif) or they don't allow hunting. I know it will take time to find places but I have spent my time trying to hunt WMA's during the week, figuring the weekends will be crazy. Just wondering what your thoughts were on the WMA's in general?

Sometimes it's the only choice you have so ya gotta do it.

I've been on and off with WMA and private land on a number of occasions. Land changes hands and times change, it's all part of the deal.

Unless you know somebody, private land for deer hunting is usually pretty well locked up.

sometimes wildlife areas are even better than private lands. You just have to do your homework to find the right location. Only thing...you might be dealing with other hunters in your situation.