Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishtolive_livetofish

Thanks Jerry

2 posts in this topic

There it was, one of the only days that I would be able to go fishing with a long time friend who is on leave from the Navy after serving another year in the Persian Gulf area.

Jerry got home Thursday afternoon after his 3rd tour in the Gulf region and we decided to go fishing on the upper St. Croix river, above the dam in St. Croix Falls. The day would be Saturday, Sept. 29th.

We traveled to the Lions Park in St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin but before launching the boat, we waited out lightning & thunder with rain, hail and wind. But finally during a brief lull in the weather, we put the boat in and headed to the hot spots.

As we approached the first spot, the Lowrance showed that there, 15 feet below us, were several fish. So we set up with 3/8 oz lead head jigs tipped with a fat head minnow. As usual, Jerry was outfishing me until I hooked onto the 15 inch Crappie. It fought like a Smallmouth but finally came to boat where we took some pictures and released it to hopefully reproduce more of its kind.

We fought the wind and occasional spots of rain all day and although the fish weren’t jumping into the boat, we managed to catch several Smallmouth Bass, a Walleye, lots of Crappies (some pretty good ones) a small Catfish and a Rock Bass.

Can you believe it that after a year in the 140 degree temps of the Gulf area, Jerry was glad to see rain and get his hands cold again? And we even caught some fish. Thank you God for friends like Jerry, for fishing spots like the St. Croix and for providing some exciting moments, but you could have turned the wind down a couple of notches.

Sounds like you two had a special day. I hope Jerry knows how much all of us are behind him and how much we appreciate his sacrifices. Posts like this make me realize how lucky we all are to be able to enjoy our pass times.

Thanks from me too Jerry!