Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAkwards

dam lake

4 posts in this topic

anyone been out to dam lake recently? Any news?

I was on Dam about 2 weeks ago. Got my limit of Walleyes in about 2 1/2 hours. The Walleyes are in about 25 feet of water off the point next to the resort on the South Side. I fish Dam quite a bit. My foilks have a cottage on Clear at Glen. So it is just a hop, skip and a jump from their place. Last summer I was on Dam and tossed some dead minnows overboard. In about 5 minutes a 30 inch Walleye came to the surface and cleaned up the floaters then went down into the depths. Dam has good Walleyes and crappies. I have heard (but never caught any) that it has a fair Northern population, but like I said I have never caught any. What else do you want to know? What speices are you targeting?

Thanks for the info. My grandma has a cabin on dam and I was up there a bunch this spring but was thinking about heading up there again this fall. Back in the day, we couldnt catch many walleye, then the dnr stocked it a few years back with 20K plus fish. I usually live bait troll for northerns. On bass opener I caught some nice bass and was suprised because I didnt think there was many in there. I heard stories of there being 5-6 lbers near the culvert close to the road where people shore fish from.

Bass: Yeah, they have some decent sized bass in there these days. Funny though, I used to fish Dam back in the 60'

s and 70's and used to catch lots of decent walleye back then. During the 80's the DNR stopped stocking the area lakes but then in the middle 90's they restarted their area stocking programs.

There has always been a small but healthy bass population in the lake and I would occasionally pick up one. Back in those days I used a Lazy Ike (probably the first banana bait). Also something called a Heddon Bass-0-Rino and also a Hula Popper. Best Bass fishing in those days was in the Weeds on the East End. I haven't fished Dam for Bass since Hector was a Pup. I have better luck over on Swamp Lake.

Swamp is a little known lake just East of the Glen Store about 5 miles into the woods. Lots of huge Perch, and Northerns. Excellent Ice Fishing spot. However it is completely surrounded by forest and the only road back into the boat landing is an old single lane dirt road about a mile from the nearest farm.

You might also look at Clear if you are looking for big Bass. However for my money Dam is still one of the best in the area for diversity. Not many Crappies I have found lately but decent sunfish in the Fall and Spring.