• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Taking the rest of the day off work and heading to Island Lake. Plan on fishing it this afternoon and tomorrow morning into the early afternoon. I'll post a report and I would like to hear your's as well. Here's to tight lines.

Me and my friend went out on 9-28-07 on Island from 9:00 a.m. to about 3:45 p.m. and fished the West basin and came up with about 35 wallys and 1 crappie between the two of us. Largest was 19 inches and smallest kept was over 14 inches. Vertical jigging with 3/8 jigs and color was not much of an issue as long as the color was bright and tipped with a rainbow or fathead. Depth was 18 to 30 feet. One frustrating thing is trying to find crappies but it was a very good day of fishing with the sun and little wind. Have fun as I think the lake will probably turn over next week as water temps started out at 56 and rose to 59.

Fished the eastern basin of Island 9/27 during the afternoon. Fishing started off very good for walleyes and smallies but I ended up sitting acouple of storms out on an island. After those fronts went though the fish really slowed down. You could still get one to go every now and again though. Jigging seemed to be preferred over lindies. I was using bigger minnows on a jig in 15-26 fow.

I've been hearing good news about Island Lake...lots of walleyes. Do any of you know about some good camping on the lake? Island locations would be helpful? Thanks.

There are a few nice campsites on Islands straight out from the d a m access on the western side of the lake. 1st come 1st served. Shouldnt be a problem this time of year.

Are the fish still biting on island with this front system we have coming through now? Im thinking about heading out there tommorow, anybody have any tips? Ive never fished island before.

was on island last thurs startin about 830am.... was suprised to still be marking most fish in deep water ... had trouble boatin the eyes.. picked up a bunch of northerns and smallies trollin shads in 13'-18'of water... was crazy to see all the docks under water after such a dry summer. am headin back out there this fri.. anyone got any secrets for the eyes? i was mostly trollin or jiggin w chubs and light pike

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

On those mid 60-70 degree days we just had, it was perfect conditions to get the eyes on the windblown shores in close.

Sure there are eyes in the 25' stuff too but I keep saying that Island lake offers many scenarios when it comes to locating eyes. When they are in close like that they are on the feed also. With temps dropping you might want to go after those deeper eyes again or look for the eyes that were in close but dropped into deeper water. To do that you need to follow the weather and winds.

Unless you have a spot in mind that you can work over with jigs and chub, use spinners with chubs to cover ground.