• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where to go in early-mid December?

Looking to take my first trip up to LotW this winter. Looking at the 2nd or 3rd week of December, planning to rent a cabin and drive out to the house each day. I have a couple questions

1.) Can you recommend a worthy lodge/resort? Our needs aren't much - basically a warm place to sleep and decent accomodations on the lake. I've searched and found plenty of places and I have seen the link at the top of this forum...but I would still like referrals if you got 'em!

2.) Is this an "iffy" time of the year for the lake? Meaning, what is the likelihood we'd have to cancel due to poor ice conditions? Impossible to say?

Any other advice would be most appreciated to make our first trip up a great one!

try fishing straight out of morris pnt around dec 1st through xmas. ther is a road but they dont let u drive trucks out till its good n thick, the latter part of the month. 18 fow cant go wrong.

jan 1st...head for the reefs. drive out on babbler`s road, right next to arnesens resort. excellent fishing!

Hi, I would recommend Wigwam Resort. It's right on the bay with all the accomodations you could ask for, knowlegable staff, lodging, excellent food and location! Right on the bay where the early ice fishing is excellent.If the lake isn't quite ready yet you can still get out and find some of the best fishing all year on the bay! Not to mention the best nighttime entertainment on the river! I.M.O.

Most full service resorts will haul you out to the lake

early in the season. They are prepared with the lightest

of equipment and will be on the ice as early as can be.

The first weekend in December is usually the time the

fishers venture out on atvs and portables but it is not

a lock. The second weekend can be pretty busy.

The best early ice on the lake is at Zipple Bay, then Morris

Point and Pine Island follow closely.

There are several top notch resorts that will fit your

needs in the Pine Island are. I can recommend River Bend

Resort (link at the top of the page). Nothing fancy but

great food, good service, nice bar and they really work

hard on the fishin.

Once the ice is there (cant tell you exactly when that

would be) the fishing is tremendous!!!! I plan on being

there the first weekend in December (or maybe at the St

Paul Ice Show).

Absolutely, we will be fishing for a long time before