• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best "trick" you taught your dog

Dahitman44

Just wondering what some of the tricks you guys and gals have taught your dogs.

Boomer's (yellow that passed away this summer) best trick was to open the beer fridge, take a can out and carry it to me. I really got a kick out of that trick. My friends thought it was cool too. My wife thought it was a little silly. wink.gif

His next best trick was to bring in every decoy on the pond, THEN bring in the dead duck.

One think -- I would never get him to close the fridge door.

Copper, (my new pup)his best trick is playing hide and seek with my twin boys. He really gets a kick out of that.

Can't wait to bring him out on Saturday.

How about your trick?

My best trick if you want to call this a trick but I can get my lab to retrieve all my decoys for me and he can decifer between a dead duck and decoys. Not once has he returned my decoys without my comand. Pretty neat and saves me a ton of time. Plus he loves it. Once in ND it was to windy for my little canoe to retrieve my decoys and Deuce my lab went and got everyone. I thought we would be leaving them there.

mr

My dog does the beer thing too. Great party trick, but makes a guy feel like a lazy drunk blush.gif

Best trick I taught him, he does not go in a doorway unless I release him in. No muddy feet in the house, wife loves it, and we all know a happy wife is a happy life!

I could hand my first Golden a big chocolate chip cookie, tell her who to bring it to, and she would deposit the slightly moist cookie in that persons lap. The Golden pictured in my avatar, not a chance, I'd be short a cookie. grin.gif

My sister has a beagle that will high five on command and will also lift her ears up so they look like wings when they tell her to fly. It is really a funny thing to watch.

I didn't teach my lab this the previous owners did ( he's adopted )

He pushes 125 lbs and when you have a dog bisciut he will sit up on his hind legs and beg like a little ankle biter.

I taught the springer to give the wife " the what for " when she gets home. The dog will stand at the top of the stairs ( split level ) and when the wife walks in I tell the dog to give her the what for, the dog will bay at her like a beagle. I think it is funny, the wife, not so much.

Both dogs have been taught to stop at the door on the way inside to have their paws wiped off. They will sit down and hold one of the front paws out first and when we are done with the fronts they walk between your legs and stand there so we can wipe the back paws. Saves on the carpet.

Mike

Meat -- My old yellow -- Boomer -- broke a few decoys when he was younger. A lot of the time he just couldn't figure out when I was mad at him -- he had just brought in three ducks. (decoys) Not the dead one, unfortunately.

One time I had to jump in the water because it looked like he was getting caught up in the string. He was fine, got out by himself and I got water in my waters. crazy.gifgrin.gif

I like the carpet trick and I might try it I know the wife will like it. Might try the other too -- O know the wife won't like that.

The only trick I have taught my Griffon is to hold his nose steady and I balance a dog treat on his nose. He will sit and stare at that treat until I release him. Then he catches it out of the air.

The others are not so much tricks. When feeding him, I make him sit and wait until I release him. As soon as I start scooping food in the bowl, he starts drooling like mad. If I keep him sitting there, he will have a big pool on the garage floor. The last one is also not a trick, but a handy command. I have used the command "halt" to have him drop to his belly where he is at. Still working on perfecting it, but he has it down pretty decent. It impressed the people walking by with their dogs last night. It is a good dog control command.

Quote:

When feeding him, I make him sit and wait until I release him. As soon as I start scooping food in the bowl, he starts drooling like mad. If I keep him sitting there, he will have a big pool on the garage floor.

Mine does the same thing!! grin.gif

When I was a kid we had a springer that would give High Fives. My neighbor taught the dog to count. If you told her to count to three or five, she would bark three or five times. was pretty cool. If you told her to dance she would stand on her back legs and do circles. She was s smart dog. To bad I didn't hunt back then. grin.gif

Quote:

Those are some pretty cool tricks. Maybe you guys could explain how you taught them?

My dog was not allowed to eat when he was a pup until I said it was OK. It was a good discipline thing and showed dominance in the pack. When he was waiting to be released to eat, I always grabbed a cookie or something else and ate it in front of him, lead dog gets to eat before the others.

Once he had this down, I started to work on the "Whoa" command. He got it so Whoa means wherever he is he stops in that position. Just repetition of the command when working with a wing on a string. When he had that down and knew it meant stop, the treat on the nose with a whoa command means wait until I release the command. He also go Whoaed before comming in the house, after a few hundred times (if he came in, right back out and whoa again), he realized you don't enter until released with his name.

The beer from the fridge came from working with force fetching. Long story short, first give beer, fetch command, and have wife call him. Then give him towel on fridge door, fetch command, step back a few steps and come. He opens door, then point to beer and fetch command. He started to get it right away. That was one of the easiest things I taught him.

He could not get the close the door thing, so I adjsuted the leveler on the fridge so it is at a slight angle. Now the door closes on its own. grin.gif

Just remember, repetition. When you think he has it, repeat it again. Then when you think he has it, repeat it again grin.gif

When I ask my dog "Who is your favorite pitcher?" She responds with a little "Boof" (for Boof Bonser).

My fiance taught her the waiting before going into a door thing but went a step further and makes her wait before jumping on a couch or bed also.

GF --

That is a great trick. I am a great twins fan but you may have to change that to "Goof"

wink.gif

My dog will bark on command. That's pretty much her hallmark trick other than all the normal commands. wow....

I can usually get her to blind retrieve anything I can see. Works great for paper garbage that blows into the yard.

I have taught my 5 month old shorthair (Leopold) to shake with both feet (one at a time), high five, high ten, roll over, and to wait to eat until he is told to do so. Early one morning, probably about 5:30, my wife put some food down for him, but forgot to tell him to eat. About 6:15, I got up and found him still sitting in the laundry room next to his full bowl of food.

One of the better tricks I have taught my Pitt/Rott is "belly." Dog is to roll over on her back and let people pet her belly. It is a great trick when people are stand-offish around her. She has such a smooth belly, and is SO happy to have it rubbed, that people will often rub it quite a while.

our dog has learned all kinds of tricks...some that we didn't even teach her.

The one that gets most people enthused is when I have her sit up on her hind legs and raise her front paws. I yell, "Your'e Under Arrest!!" and up she goes.

She has also learned to say "please" by muttering a low growl, Whine, by whining on command...

She also will direct us to her treats and food. I will ask her "where do we go?" and she will go to the closet door, and put her paw up on it. Then, inside the closet, I can ask her "which one?" and if she is getting a treat, she goes and puts her foot on the treat bin, or if her food, she will put her foot up on the food bin. Then, I can ask her "where does it go?" and she will go up to her food dish, and put her paw on it. She also knows "Get your cup" where she will go and fetch her cup that we use to get her food.

She also knows "gimme 5"...she puts up her left paw for that, then "shake" is the right paw. She will roll over on command, as will play "dead Dog"...

Funny how smart these animals can be...

Steve

I have taught my 3 year old golden lab to shake with both paws. I reach out my left hand and he shakes with his right and vise versa. I also have taught him to speak and lie down. So if i present him with a treat, i ask him to sit, shake with both hands, lie down and last of all speak and then he gets not only a treat, but a great big hug and a kiss to boot.

Maybe not hard tricks to teach em, but fun ones i guess.

A standard trick my old yellow did was to get his dish when he was hungry or when we told him to go get his dish. It is a standard one, but still pretty funny to see him standing in the doorway when you come home holding his dish in his mouth and wagging his tail.

We had a border collie that would climb trees to get to her favorite stick. She followed us up a ladder into a hayloft when we were working up there, but couldn't get down. Hubby taught her how to climb back down the ladder so he wouldn't have to carry her all the time. He used her favorite stick as a reward for climbing down on her own.

So many things that they do but they, the labs are both seven now. Both are over 80#s and know where the dog treats are. They hit everyone that comes to the house for a reward. They both shake paws, left and right and both will sit up and hold it waiting for a treat. Bud will growl out “ I love you” and that always gets him a treat and a look from visitors. Barney will take my daughter by the hand and take her to her bedroom when it is time. Bud will also retrieve the remote control. He will also run off with it. If you ever read anything from Lake Iwantobethere there are stories about the dogs. Most are based on true stories. Barney does fish and yes he did catch a walleye by himself.

A dog that can fish. That I would like to see. How did he catch the 'eye?

• 2 weeks later...

A little thing that my lab does it when I throw a tennis ball, she will retrieve it and when she gets back, she will toss the ball up to you. I didn't really teach it to her, she just kind of started doing it. She will also sit at the top of the stairs and toss the ball down, wait till it stops and she will run down and get it. Pretty funny to watch and it keeps her busy.

I have taught my 100 Lb Red Bone to stand for a little while then give me a one or two handed high five. I haven't seen many dogs that big stand for that long. And he will give me either a loud bark or a quiet bark for a treat.

Not sure it's a trick if it only happens once buy here is my best.

Coon hunting one night with some buddies and their hounds. Treed one on a branch out over the river. When the coon was shot it landed mid-stream and when the ruckus was over the hounds and dead coon ended up on the opposite bank. As they lost interest in the dead coon and started hunting the opposite bank I hollered at my bluetic Blue to fetch, never expecting it to happen. I'm sure this hound had never heard the word fetch before, but for some reason walked over to that coon, picked it up and swam back across with it.

The real trick was me pretending that it was no big deal and I expected it. The best part was hearing my buddies, years later, telling others about my hound who was trained to fetch.