Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PDOGG

New to Gull Lake

9 posts in this topic

Staying in Baxter this weekend I was just wondering where I should start out on Gull I've never fished it before. It looks like lindy rigs and chubs are the presentation of choice just clueless on where to fish and where to land the boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, get a good map. I would start on the south edge of Bow Tie Flat. Lots of fish there last week. Play the wind.

Use the 371 landing or the landing by the dam.

Start on Bow Tie, then fish Sandy Point. Fish the weedline. If nothing work the edge of the point in 25-35 ft.

Try Rocky point also, the Governors area. Redtails, "reverse rigging" 5-7ft snell. Try the "Viking rig". Purple hook, and a chart bead.

Going to try this on Mille lacs also grin.gif

We did great last weekend along the weedline in 14' - 16' pulling a small rainbow with 3'-4' snell. The red tails we have been getting from the bait stores have been too big in my opionion.

Don't be afraid to use those 4-6" Redtails. They are not too big. You will still catch those smaller (15-17"er's) on them

On average there was no comparison. We caught almost 50 walleys on Sunday and the smaller minnows were hands down better and the rainbows better than the red tails. I prefer to use what works vs. reputation.

Not to mention the rainbows are half the price.

Rainbows worked for us too on Saturday, launched off the 371 acess and fish near that area until the storm chased us off.. re-launched and fished about 5 spots and caught fish in every spot from there to Wilson Bay, caught over 60 eye's, size was the only real issue, lots of sub 15" fish, even tried some 6" chubs with the same result. Alot of fun however. A 3" rainbow on the hook was tough to beat Saturday.

Thanks for all the help guys. Although the weather kept us off the water some we where able to get some fish. We had some luck on Gull while we where out there near Hunters Point lindy rigging with chubs. My wife and here younger cousin where with and he ended up catching his biggest walleye to date out there along with some kamikazee (spelling) perch that where nailing 3 inch chubs. After the storms and wind pushed us off of Gull we headed to Round lake, which I had fished about a month ago, and caught a few more 'eyes doing the same thing jigging was also working out there. We ended up bringing home a good meal of keepers and catching a couple over 20" but nothing to huge. Heres a picture of my wifes cousin Everett with his walleye. DSC02308.jpg