Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AJ

Game Farm - Help?

12 posts in this topic

Have a new dog, need to spend some time at a game farm this year. Wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on public and or private locations. Places that seem to be a good fit based on the initial look:

Traxlers, Major Avenue, Oakdale Ridge, Caribou Gun Club.

Any feedback you can give me on where to start? Not looking for people to bash any business, just some guidance on where to start. Good cover, ability to get a reservation, etc. are all concerns. Other places close to the cities that people have had good experiences with? Thanks.

I really have no input as to game farms in the twin cities area. If you ever go way up north, there is a nice pheasant farm in Effie. Also once your dog has the idea, you can do pretty well on public land in SW MN.

I was a member of Traxlers for several years.....they are 1st class. Only reason I didn't renew is my dog is retired and have not replaced her. Royal Flush in Hinckley is another 1st class operation. A photo of a hunt we did last fall is on their website.

I think both of these are members only, but if you'll have to check. Wild Wings in Hugo and Rice Creek in Little Falls have always treated me well.

I have been to Traxlers and Caribou gun club. I think a rookie dog would benifit more at Caribou gun club more for training. I think both places are top notch, but Traxlers kinda like the more trained dogs running. Just my .002, but either place would be great for the dog!

Last week I went to Appleriverhunting just past Taylor Falls. They have some nice fields set up for puppy training. I released the Quail myself so I could go at my own pace. You get the field for 2 hours and the price was good. DrJ

Traxlers has one-time or first time hunt w/o membership free...you have to pay for birds. They have a smaller field or two that would work for a young dog. Royal Flush wants new members and I also think they would let you hunt one time without a problem. Plus, John (owner) is a dog breeder and trainer and would probably offer some help or advise if you need it.

I have been to Major Ave once. I thought they had a nice facility and the people were very good to us.

I would also recommend Traxler's. Nice people along with top notch facilities. I would recommend renting one of Traxler's dogs ($35) to take with your young dog. They have both pointers and flushers. We used a "seasoned" dog with a young one last weekend and it worked out very well.

There are a couple North of Elk River. Princeton, Santiago and some over clear lake way.

I love the Effie area, but that would be one heck of a drive from MPLS grin.gif.

Gold Meadows in Cold Spring is where I've been going for 21 years...Joe D is a great guy and has a great set up....Fields are not too big and cover is broken up nicely to hold birds..Great choice for a new dog......or an old one!!!!!!!!

I was a member of both Traxlers and Caribou - Traxlers for the past two years. I joined MN Horse and Hunt this year because it's close to home and I can run the dog after work. It also has a 300 yd rifle range. Caribou has great fields and is inexpensive but they lack in customer service. Traxlers also has good fields, great customer service, and is reasonably priced. They also have a nice clubhouse and good food. They will not disappoint. They do however charge members for their pistol range. Horse and hunt is more money but they have more to offer with 2 rifle ranges, sporting clays, waterfowl hunting, decent clubhouse, and closeness to the cities (15 min. from Savage)the other 2 clubs were 40 to 50 min. from home.