Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hemlock

Hercu/RhinoLiner in bottom (Floor) of aluminum boat

12 posts in this topic

Just curious to see if anyone has tried it and if so, what kind of results you had?

Thinking of fixing some rivets in my "plain jane" 16' Lund, then spraying inside floor with a rubber truck bed liner. Local guy I talked to said, no problem. I'm just a little nervous as to what happens when a rivet lets go in a week, year, etc...

Any thoughts?

We do quite a few of these at the boat shop, and the nice thing about doing a repair such as fixing a rivet, is that when it's done, the liner can be spotted back in and you cant even tell it was done.

we've had this done on our boat at work and it works GREAT!!! saves scratches, better traction......looks great also!!

Thanks for the responses. I think it's a great alternative to building a floor for a boat like this. That adds weight (200 lbs at least)and has continual maintenance.

The boat sits in the water from ice out to late fall, so she gets used and abused.

This would seem to add alot of unwanted weight wouldn't it??

I know a good layer in a truck bed is quite heavy.

Anyone know that? It's a good question...I was assuming the whole works wouldn't add up to more than 75 lbs.??

That's what I'm trying to accomplish, is some form of a non skid floor, without building a floor and dealing with rotting, etc.

Any guys out there, know what the approximate weight would be for Rhinoliner applied to the floor of a plain jane 16' Lund would be? I was only going to have it applied to the floor up to the seem of rivets, where the floor meets the side peice of aluminum.

If you use Herculiner, how could it add any more weight than the raw material. The can full can't weigh more than 15 pounds.

I just Herculined the bottom of my 14' boat this summer. It works great for non skid if that's what you're looking for. I've used this stuff on a lot of different items, and I've been really happy with it so far in my boat. There's no weight issue with it. You can ordered colored liner off of thier website. It's quite a bit more expensive online than just buying the black stuff on sale at the store. I wanted gray, so I had to pay the price, but it turned out very nice. Hope that helps ya!

SS

What did it cost you to do your 14' boat, and how high did you bring it up? I mean, just the very bottom of the floor, or all the way up to the gunnel, or somewhere in between?

I was able to use the gallon kit. It was just the right amount for the 14'er. You put two coats of the stuff on, so a 16' would probably need the gallon kit plus another quart or two. I did my boat on the floor and then up the sides a little to where the rivets end. A gallon of colored Herculiner ran me about $120. Compared to buying the black at the store on sale for $45, it's quite a difference. I don't think anyone would want to put black on their floor though. I wish they would sell the colored in the stores, but I've never seen it. I don't think you would be disappointed in doing this project. It's time consuming with all the prep and stuff, but it turns out how you want it, and cheaper than having someone else do it!

I could try smirk.gif