Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marble Eye Guy

Fiberglass restoration question?

4 posts in this topic

I have a buddy who is looking at purchasing a 2003 618/tiller that has some fading on the tops of the gunwhales from sitting outside uncovered. Is there a way to restore to origional color, and if so how costly of a process is it. I run an aluminum boat so I have no idea, so any help would be great. thanks

It really depends on how severe the oxidation is. Sometimes a simple cleaner/wax for lighly oxidized boats will bring back the original shine with a power buffer (I really like the 3M brand product). In worse cases, some rubbing compound will do the trick but you need to follow up with some wax with a UV protectant. The top layer of gelcoat not always very thick, and it will be more prone to oxidizing faster. Generally Rangers have very good gelcoats and I find it hard to believe a lot of dammage was done in 4 years. I've seen an Arizona boat that had be re-gelcoated at the factory due to the intense sun down south, If I remeber right it costed him about $3500 plus he had to take it to the factory in Arkansas. The boat looked like it was brand new afterwards though.

Personally I've learned my lesson the hard way on buying a used boat that wasn't taken care of, unless the price is really low you might want to pass. If the boat sat out a lot you might have carpet and electrical problems early on, and it makes you wonder about other upkeep like winterization.

The gunnels on my 13 year old glass boat (black in color) suffered some bad oxidation. I thought I tried everything until my buddy showed up with his buffer and 3M boat restore wax formula. Incredible difference. One more thorough buffing job and I bet I won't have any more oxidation. It can be removed quite easily!

3M "Finesse-it II" followed by a quality wax. Us a variable speed buffer, not an orbital. You can pick up a buffer from "Harbor Freight" for around $30.00

I have tried several different products and equipment trying to get the shine back on my 1978 Cruisers Villa Vee. And the above has produced the best results.

Al

PS I know of a website with more in depth info if you want it.