Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

Another invasive plant on the scene...

10 posts in this topic

Bad news reported by KSTP...

DNR reports aquarium plant found in Mpls. lake

A pesky plant appears to have made its way from the fish tank to a Minnesota lake.

The Department of Natural Resources said a weed called Brazilian Elodea survived at least one winter in Powderhorn Lake in Minneapolis.

It’s similar to Eurasian Milfoil and commonly sold as an aquarium plant.

The DNR plans to use herbicides on Powderhorn Lake, to prevent the weed from spreading.

Just great...How does this happen? confused.gif

I saw it on the news this morning. Happens by jerks throwing crap in the lakes. If you don't want a plant in your tank, throw it away, not in a (&)(*^ Lake!! mad.gif

How does this happen? Most likely someone in the neighborhood with an aquarium was moving and didn't want to take it with them. They couldn't find anyone to take it so they just dumped everything in the lake because they didn't want to kill the fish.

Mrs. Boilerguy works for a newspaper. Last summer she did a story on a couple of local boys that caught a pirannha in a local lake. The DNR said it happens more often than we would like to think. People dump their fish tanks in lakes and streams, apparently, quite often.

The DNR dudes said normally the fish and plants don't survive the winter. I guess this plant is tougher than most.

Naturally our outdoor community knows better, but I think the vast majority of people DO NOT know the rules about transplanting organisms.

Sonic has a good point, MOST people just plain don't know any better, and this is the cause for many many invasive species, in our lands and waters. Those of us who have a passion for outdoor activities and wildlife generally understand how the ecosystem around us works(and if not, defineatly should research it). Education on these kinds of issues is of the utmost importance, to keep our natural systems healthy. Believe it or not people do these kinds of things intensionally as well, but not will the intent of damaging the ecosystem. The do it because they think its a pretty plant and that would be neat if it was all over, or they want to let their fish live....so on and so on. Sometimes people bring one species in to control another, and suddenly that species becomes an invasive. Invasives cause many issues that any outdoorsman can see readily, but the underlying cascade effect is what is really bad. Invasives outcompete native species and disturb and destroy native habitats, eventually leading to native species decline and demise. Since colonization things have been moved around and brought from here and there and introduced through balast water, for aesthetic beauty, to control another "pest" species, the thing of it is at that time we did not know any better...now we do. We just have to keep trying to educate as many people as possible on the effects of these introductions on the environment we all live in. A little side note on Brazilian Elodea, they sell it, or were selling it at stores for water gardens in peoples back yards and such, where it is spreading to other sources is just a matter of time. Its all about basic education to preserve the resources we all love, or we wouldn't be on this forum. People have all heard of Eurasian Milfoil, but not every single person is thoughtful of checking for it or it wouldn't spread. Next time you see some vegetation on a guys boat, let him know, or someone dumping live aquarium fish or bait in a lake or stream. These resources depend on us, since our exsistence has already greatly modified them. Didn't mean for this to get so dramatic. tongue.gif

One more thing hit me when I read this topic again. Why are we selling this exotic plant for aquria when regular Elodea (Elodea Canadensis), which is native looks very similar? We have an amazing abundance of natural species that are amazing, just got to get out and look at them....side thought ...maybe if we started renaming some of our native plants to catchier exotic sounding names people would think they were cool too. I mean brazilian elodea, asian flying carp, they sound flashy like something someone would want in their aquariums and lakes. Just a thought.

It's well past the time where the fed's need to stop the import of exotic plants and animals. They need to crack down on this NOW!

Its all about $ and politics.....There simply isn't enough money for proper enforcment, and if something has a high economic value, politicaians don't want to regulate or change it. Local enforcment is way understaffed to deal with such issues as they occur, with people transfering species. Its kind of like trying to bust a kid for stealing candy from a store. Education is key and the next step is all of us being diligent about reporting violations we see.

Good points livintofish. Staffing / funding is the limitation commonly. REPORT VIOLATIONS!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Wheres_Walter
      We struggled on walleye on Frazer bay this saturday, so sunday morning I started throwing senkos.  Not quite consecutive casts like Wanderer, but i went all morning catching nothing, then caught these two cousins with 3 min of each other, smallie off the point, then the big mouth around the corner in a shallow bay.  18" smallie, 17" LMB. Good fun.    We did get about a dozen walleye on sunday night after the storms chased 15 boats away from the point we were fishing.  Mostly small, but a couple keepers.  Chartruese Jig and rainbows in about 10-12 FOW.  Couldn't buy a bite with a chub.  
    • monstermoose78
      I have good Jeremy how have you been doing. I need to get out fishing with you soon.
    • Walleye #1
      Stick in the Mud   I do think sometimes that those fish see so many jigs and shiners that something such as a crawler or leech is a great change up and will get bites.  Also with the bug hatches that are happening, those are two great baits.       Leech Lake   Leech Lake Walleyes once again found themselves spread out and in different areas and related to different pieces of Leech Lake structure.  Shiners and Leeches seemed to be the bait of choice for those Leech Lake Walleyes, but plastics are still catching some fish.  Be sure to stop in at Full Stringer Bait and Tackle, Swansons Bait and Tackle, Tutts Bait and Tackle, or Sportland Bait and Tackle for all your bait and tackle needs.     West End The LOA Fishing Guides found much of their success on the West End of Leech Lake.  Focusing in on the flats around West Goose in depths of 7-10ft of water, as well as the wind blown points such as Duck, Big Hardwoods, Ottertail, Pine, and Bowmans.  Sucker Bay also proved to have a good wind driven bite throughout the weekend.   A Jig and Minnow was the best presentation by far, but in most instances instead of jigging it, dragging or swimming it along the bottom seemed to work best, but when the front came in on Sunday the Leech Lake Walleyes were snapping and aggressively jigging was provoking the bite.  When things slowed down, slowing down with a lindy rig and leech put fish in the boat as well.  Green cabbage once again was a key to finding active walleyes and jumbo perch in 5-8ft of water.  Pitching an 1/8th oz KenKatch jig with a shiner caught Leech Lake Jumbos, Walleyes, and pike.  Slip bobbers and leeches/shiners also have put fish in the boat being either fished in the weeds or windblown points.   East End/Main Lake On the Main Lake, the rocks still were producing a great bite as well as some of the East End points such as Battle, Sugar, and Five Mile when the strong Westerly winds were blowing.  Annex, Submarine, Pelican, and North Bar were all producing fish in 10-14ft of water. Lindy Rigs with leeches or shiners seemed to work best, but the biggest fish still seem to want a 1/8th or 1/4oz jig and shiner.  
      Leech Lake Crappie and Bluegill fishing still remains strong.  When the weather warms up for a couple days both species are moving onto their beds and are actively feeding.  Looking to Boy Bay, Millers Bay, Shingobee, and Steamboat for the best action in 3-6 feet of water.  Just remember to use selective harvest as these fish are more vulnerable.  
    • Troy Smutka
      Memorial Weekend,      Hit Waconia Saturday morning for bass. Caught about 40 largemouth--most from 14 to 17 inches, with a few 17 and 18 inchers--and several nice pike. Fish were in cabbage out from bedding areas, in about 6 to 9 feet of water. Fish were scattered, lying in the weeds looking up for sunfish that are staging in these areas preparing to move in and bed. With this situation, we buzzed spinnerbaits and weedless spoons over and through the tops of the weeds, and the bass aggressively came up on them, as well as some pike. Had one lazy muskie follow as well. Got good footage for a bass segment of Fishing and Hunting the North Country on You Tube. Added footage of a couple smallies from out in the Hutch area Saturday evening. The bass fishing will continue to get better as the water warms, with more big ones, and the sunfish bedding bite is probably only a week or less away. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.    
    • Troy Smutka
      Memorial Weekend,      Out on Washington Saturday afternoon and evening after hitting Waconia for bass Saturday morning. Caught largemouth, smallmouth, and pike. Added footage of a couple smallies to the largemouth and pike footage from Waconia for a bass segment of Fishing and Hunting the North Country on You Tube. Caught the bass and pike on Washington in four to seven feet of water, out from bedding areas, on spinnerbaits, Rippin' Raps, and Shadow Raps. Up on Mille Lacs this coming weekend for a walleye tournament, then will be back out in the Hutch area the next weekend guiding. We were targeting bass this weekend, but got a tip that walleyes are biting on a couple Hutch area lakes on live bait. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Geez Terry! Now you will be telling me that walleyes are only good muskie bait! Cliff
    • JeremyCampbell
      Nice report Cret Musta been a thrill getting that 9.75 Gill.  
    • JeremyCampbell
      Wow dude lol Sup Moose how you been?
    • guideman
      Vermilion has excellent fishing for both bass species   The east end has the best Smallmouth action and the west end has the best Largemouth action, however you can catch either on both sides of the lake.  For Smallmouth, rocks, docks, points, saddles, reeds, wood and the shoreline rubble are all very productive. Most of the green bass are found in or near the slop and the west end has the best of what they like the most. Spinnerbaits, any color as long as it's white, stick baits, cranks, topwaters, jigs, swim baits and soft plastics all work for Smallies. Jigs, topwaters(Frogs) plastics and a host of other stuff will catch the green bass. Have a great time, the midweek traffic is very minimal.   "Ace"   "It's just fishing man"
    • guideman
      Bla bla bla, all this Walleye talk is boring me to death.   The real opening day is this Saturday when the Muskie opener comes to Minnesota and the Big V.  I'll be out fishing with my son and grandson searching for some real fish.   The weather looks great, my baits are all sharpened and the new line is on all my rigs. Bucktails, Glittertails, spinnerbaits and minnow style cranks will make up most of our arsenal, however we will also be tossing a few topwaters looking for those Big green girls and not even talking about Walleye fishing.   Have a great weekend everybody!   "Ace" "It's just fishing man"