• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting Boots.. good, bad, ugly.. Lets hear it.

The Yeti

Well. I finally made a decision. I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns at Cabelas today. Unreal how comfortable they are compared to all the other boots. The Cabelas brand boots called a "Bruin" was a nice boot too. Same feel as Bearclaws, but I had to go with the Danners.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeti,

Sounds like a good choice. Did you take them out for a long spin yet? Good looking boots; hope you didn't get any mud, or a scuff, or a blade of grass stuck on them.

Yeti, I've heard nothing but excellent reports of Danner boots for years and years. You should have them a long time.

I've been a budget boot buyer for most of my boot-buying life. Just the way I can afford them.

I bought a pair of Cabela's 800 gram thinsulate boots with leather/goretex and waterproof rating 10 years ago for $50 in the bargain cave of the EGF store. These were a bit over $100 new, and had just been discontinued. Black lug sole, stitch-down construction.

I have put these boots through heck these last 10 years, and they are still in great shape and provide excellent support (less waterproof than they used to be) and warmth.

Last year I bought a pair of Irish Setter 1,200 gram thermolite boots, also waterproof combo of leather/goretex and stitch-down construction. Not because the Cabela's boots had worn out, but because sooner or later they will, and I wanted a warmer boot and wanted a season to break them in.

Well, I wore them for the last weekend of deer season last year and those Irish Setters didn't need ANY breaking in. Great support and warmth and no sore feet/blisters after I put nearly 20 miles on them in their first three days.

All Irish Setter boots are now made in China. I prefer a U.S.-made boot, but have rarely been able to pay U.S.-made boot prices, and I would not have been able to afford Irish Setter boots made in the U.S. These Irish Setters cost me about $120. Has the qaulity dropped along with the price now that they're made overseas? Don't know, and of course, not owning Irish Setter boots before I'll have nothing to compare them with regarding longevity/quality. We'll see if I get 10+ years out of these like I have the Cabela's boots (which also were made in China).

Now, with both pair in use, I'll have the lighter boot for mid-season and the heavier one for more winter use, and that'll take the load of both boots for the next few seasons until the Cabela's boots wear out. Should extend the lives of both pairs that way.

Boots are like hunting knives and camo. You can never have enough different types. grin.gifgrin.gif

The Cabelas boots made by Meindl are very well constructed and comfortable too.

I have a pair of the 7" Perfekts and am looking at getting the 10" Winter 800's.