Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim W

Streams and small rivers

1 post in this topic

FYI:

For those planning on venturing out in the next several days, be advised streams are quite muddy and several are even high.

For those who venture out in late Fall and winter, this should make for some good fishing on the Root and Zumbro rivers as well as some of their larger tribs.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• curt quesnell
      Wind was howling when we left the dock this morning and I was pretty shook up about it. A nice steady bite with decent fish made the day a real pleasure.   Good news going into the big weekend, the fish are biting.
    • Fish Head
      Is it the LaCroix Ranger Station where you pick up the permits now?
    • ozzie
      not something I consider when eating as I don't eat fish weekly.  I feed them to my kids and my wife ate it while pregnant.  Not sure if there really is a concern or not but the basic guidelines are out there more for kids and pregnant women.  Unless you are eating fish daily or every other day then I don't think you need to worry a whole bunch.  Heck if you die because of mercury poisoning from eating too many fish, well at least you had one hell of a time before you died! HAHAHA   A few years back a local lake close to the metro started producing a lot of crappies and people drove all over to fish.  A lot of fish were taken and eaten.  The lake had been traditionally known as a dumping pond for farm runoff and other things like that...I ate a limit or 2 from said lake and never had issues with anything and the fish tasted like they should.  Point being that unless they say "DON'T EAT FISH FROM THIS LAKE" just follow the state guidelines for your kids and prego wife but other than that enjoy a meal or 2 a week if you are lucky to catch enough!!  Good Luck- Ozzie
    • delcecchi
      I think day use motor or camping requires a permit, not self service. 
    • blue_healer_guy
      speaking of a terova with spot lock, where can I buy one, cant find anybody that has them and what do they cost.
    • portageguy
      Day trip canoe only can fill out and use permit at portage. October 1 - April 30 permits at portage cover all trips. We have all been driving to Cook for permits so Y-store would be great. 
    • Rick
      Minnesota state parks have made it easy—and free —to experience the fun of fishing.  “We’ve eliminated some of the barriers that were keeping today’s busy families from getting out fishing,” said Erika Rivers, director of Minnesota state parks and trails. “Now, you and your family can try your hand at fishing – at no cost – before investing in equipment or purchasing a fishing license.” People are able to fish from shore without a license in most state parks on a lake or river that doesn’t require a trout stamp. Other rules and regulations still apply, such as the number and size of fish that the person can keep. Details, including a map showing where to find the free fishing opportunities, can be found online. Free fishing kits, which include a rod and tackle, are loaned out on a first-come, first-served basis at many state parks, thanks to funding from the DNR’s MinnAqua program. “These fishing kits make it easy for families,” said Jeff Ledermann, education and skills leader for DNR’s fish and wildlife outreach section. “The many fishing opportunities state parks offer are a great way for families to have fun, learn together and build a tradition that connects them to the outdoors.” Beginners and those who haven’t fished in awhile can brush up on their fishing skills at one of many I Can Fish! programs this summer. These hands-on learning opportunities ($5 for adults and free for children under age 12) cover fish identification, casting, knot-tying and more. Fishing gear is provided for use during the programs, and fishing licenses are not required. Experienced anglers will demonstrate skills and then give participants time to practice. Participants will also get a small tackle box to take home with them. For a complete schedule of I Can Fish! programs and information on how to register, visit www.mndnr.gov. For more information, contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us, 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • overdalimit
      getting thicker now. no big slicks on lake yet probably another week and the "carcass trails" will start showing up.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Fish Head, I believe that only applies to winter entry. Cliff
    • Rick
      Cost for hunting and fishing licenses won’t increase until 2018 The Department of Natural Resources reminds state park visitors, snowmobilers and ATV riders that modest fee increases will go into effect on July 1.  However, the cost of fishing and hunting licenses, including deer licenses, won’t increase until 2018. “I want to thank the many Minnesotans and state lawmakers who supported these modest increases in parks, snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle, hunting and fishing fees during the recent legislative session,” said Commissioner Tom Landwehr. “These fees will help maintain quality outdoor experiences for now and for future generations. We are fortunate to live in a state that offers such great outdoor opportunities and passionate citizenry that supports those resources.” One-day state park vehicle permits will increase $2 to $7 and year-round vehicle permits will increase $10 to $35. These fees have not changed in more than a decade, and the increases were needed to continue to provide quality facilities and services at these important places at a level that maintains their nation-leading status. Also effective July 1, the fee to register all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles will increase and a $15 license will be required for ice shelters that do not collapse, fold or disassemble. “ATV and snowmobile clubs throughout the state provide a large and well-maintained system of trails throughout Minnesota,” Landwehr said.  “These trails are supported in large part by the user fees that contribute to the state’s grant-in-aid trail systems.  High-quality trails give snowmobilers and other motorized recreation enthusiasts a reason to travel, which bolsters tourism and strengthens local economies in Minnesota.” For a list of all the Parks and Trails fees that are changing, visit the fee details page. Effective with the 2018 license year, the cost for some fishing and hunting licenses will rise. The cost of a resident fishing license will increase $3, from $22 to $25, and a resident deer license will increase $4, from $30 to $34. A complete list of license fee increases is available on the DNR website at www.mndnr.gov/LicenseDollarsAtWork. These increases won’t build fish and wildlife programs but do ensure that fish stocking will not be reduced; deer management and research will continue at current levels; and nuisance wildlife and wildlife damage complaints will be answered in a timely manner. For more information, contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.