• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Killing northern pik on purpose in California

nine-tiner

A couple years ago I was fishing lake Jane, the one by demontreville in the east metro. I got snagged on an orange gill net, maybe 3 feet high, and at least 100' feet long. It was full of hammerhandles. Turns out the DNR was intentionally ridding the lake of northern pike. Apparently bass are not susceptible to gill nets, they just swim around them.

I used to have a favorite bass lake where I never caught any northerns. It was a great spot for fall bass. Then I started catching hammerhandle northerns after never having caught one there. Then the lake wasn't so good for bass anymore. Now I catch 2 and 3 pound northerns and have not caught a single bass there this year. I think the northerns have something to do with the disappearance of the bass there.

Another lake was a really good bass lake. It was taken over by carp. I stopped catching bass in the murky but formerly clear water. Now the carp have come into balance with the lake and I catch bass again.

No point to these stories, just some experiences. (But I sure miss that good spot for fall bass. It was great.)

Boy, do Northerns get big when eating trout. To bad we don't have more trout around here for them to eat. smile.gif

Never mind me. Right know I'm in the middle of, Standing in a River Waving a Stick.

Yeah. That's as good as I can fillet one small northern. But by golly, she was boneless! And sweet and delicious......

/runs to freezer

• 1 month later...

Let me be the first to say say that its a Tiger Muskie not a Northern. smirk.gif

He says sheepishly after watching the vid and posting before then reading the comments made. blush.gif

Quote:

Boy, do Northerns get big when eating trout. To bad we don't have more trout around here for them to eat.
smile.gif

Square Lake. Need I say more?