• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

List of top ducks in MN

Huntin&Fishin

I've seen them around Fergus before, mainly in the large ponds and lakes. I've never shot them up there but seen them while out at the lake pulling docks.

Bluebills (G/L Scaup) got their nickname simply because the drakes have a distinct blue colored bill.

Ringneck/ringbill (nickname for the ring on the bill) are very common in MN. If you read DNR flight scouting reports (mainly in northern MN) the ringbill are more prevalent than any other species.

I shoot a lot of ringbills near Fergus Falls. They are all over, but primarily on rice ponds. There are quite a few that nest and breed here. Last year was the best for ringbills I had seen. Now, bluebills they seem to migrate through the area in #s late Oct, and November. They are very hearty birds..

Chise-

Hit the right weekend West, not Hutch or Marshall or Alec, but WEST.

The bills can literal rock through in one day. Other times your on 'em for 2 to 3. They don't stick around much.

The right spots on the right day can be silly with cans. Go often, drive far, pray alot.

A mixed bag of mallards, ringnecks and gadwalls is fairly typicaly... but those days boy when a species flight is on so thick you're waiting for other ducks are where the memories are made.

I know what your talking about with the memories.

Many Years ago when i first got introduced to duck hunting, we went to a few slews around carver county and had some slow success. But them my friend an i were invited to a hunt out WEST with a group of 6 in late October.

I think we each went thru 5 or 6 boxes of shells in 3 days...those blue bills would come out of nowhere and buzz the tower going atleast 105 (it seamed like for a rookie). That was one of the most fun weekends i had duck hunting. Its not the killing, its the enjoyment of being out in the elements and seeing the birds and having fun.

In northern MN where I hunt up here it is about a 50/50 split between mallards and ringnecks. We do get some teal and wood ducks but they leave to early. Also we pick off the occasional gadwall, redhead, merganser, (including hooded), and maybe a bluebill and buffle head.