Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hanson

Eurasion Water Milfoil in Union Lake

7 posts in this topic

Just saw on the news tonight that MN DNR recently discovered Eurasion Water Milfoil in Union Lake, which is the furthest north the invasive species has ever been discovered.

Lake Association will be up in arms over this one. Installing the big pump and pumping water out of the lake will seam like child's play compared to the thick mats of Milfoil that will develop on the lake.

If Milfoil got into Maple Lake, oh my... with as shallow as that lake is, I'm guessing it will spread like wildfire!

I guess it was found in that weedy spot across from my parents cabin, I'm not happy. mad.gifmad.gif

If its any consolation, most milfoil lakes are fantastic fishing lakes. Its the pleasure boaters, cabin owners, and recreational type people that really complain about it.

Could you imagine if that stuff got down into my parent's bay?? Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!

largemouth love the stuff. If your lake had it i could walk across it. It's not a good thing. mad.gif

hanson, walleye are you kiding me there's much better fighting fish out there. you got to give the chrome lake run salmonida a try, you realy don't know what your missing grin.gif

Does Euro water milfoil make fishing better? Depends on what was there before. If you have lots of different types of aquatic veg. and varying density and then you get EWM, fishing will take a turn for the worse. If you don't have lots of different plants or little density, then yes, it does improve. Minnetonka is a good example of an improved bass fishery, as with some of the other EWM lakes especially in the cities. But those are more bass type waters anyways.

Hopefully Union doesn't become another jumpoff point for the plant. Canada and the Red River aren't too far off.

Yep, read about it the other day too. The sad part is, I'll bet it will get into Maple/Sarah and the surrounding lakes too before long. The lakes are so close together, I just can't see it not happening.

It wouldn't suprise me, if one day every body of water in the state had EWMF in it...

The parents just sent me an article from the GF Herald... the Milfoil is not something that "just" happened, sounds like its been in the lake for at least 1 year and has finally been recognized. The DNR believes the plant has survived at least 1 winter and is continuing to spread. Yuck! Yuck!

The lake association is aware and has sent letters out to its members describing what has occurred.

The closest known lakes with Eurasian Water Milfoil are Leech Lake to the east and Lake Oscar near Glenwood, MN to the south according to the herald. Thats at least a 2 hr trip via land from either of those lakes to get to Union.