Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kallista

WATER LOGGED PUPPY

9 posts in this topic

I got Hunter on the 15th, he weighed almost 6 1/2 pounds, 8 days into this he weighs 16 1/2 pounds.. hes growing fast.

He was on Noble and over 7 days i slowly took him off that and put him on Eagle Pack, and i always had water down for him 24/7 till a few days ago, now if the water bowl is full he will sit there and drink it, no matter how he feels till its gone.. Then he throws up the water and he gets the runs.

I hate to do it but now i have to give him water every hour or so like a 1/2 cup.. Has this happened to anyone else, am i doing something wrong?

I posted this under huntings dogs with no response so i thought maybe someone could help me here?

All I can say is take him into to your vet. Something is making that dog thirsty and denying it water may not be the healthy solution. Although it might be cleaner for you.

I remember reading something when I was younger, about some kid that craved salt. The kid would eat nothing but salty foods and straight salt. The parents and doctors thought this was weird so they cut back his salt and then the kid died. After doing the autopsy, they discovered that what ever gland or body function helps the body absorb salt wasn't doing it's job (or something along those lines). His body was telling him to eat more salt so he did. When they denied him of it he died. Sad story but it points out that the body sometimes knows more than our brains do.

I would get him to the vet. Excessive drinking and urination can be signs of a urinary tract infection or could be the puppy is diabetic. I'm no expert but I would get it checked out.

i agree too, the vet. if there is nothing wrong.. and only after he goes to the VET... he may have been the runt of the litter and never got his fair share of anything so he figures it's now or never and just takes it all. he may just need a little tlc when he eats or drinks. like petting while he eats or drinks and your soft reassuring voice at the same time. doggy shrinks are the only way to go most times though. but do get him to the vet. tongue.gif

Hes been to the vet two times now... they just said nothings wrong, hes being a normal lab puppy and i also posted this in hunting dogs and i guess this happens sometimes with pups.. they just keep drinking, even as older dogs they do as well, so we just don't keep a bowl full of water now till he gets older and understands he cant drink the whole bowl.. thanks

Well if he's ever going to be a hunting dog, you'd better teach him how to obey. This will be one of those hard ones to teach, but teach him to drink smaller amounts.

Right now when he starts to drink, i say ok thats enough and sits down looking at me.. he walks away and a bit later he goes back and drinks more.. Hes a puppy he has plenty of time to learn to be a hunting dog.. i think right now its the basics for now, sit heel, no ..things like that... he needs to be a puppy first, but your right he does need to learn

and he is now, each day hes learning something new.. its very exciting for us both..

Congrats on your new puppy. Until he realizes that food and water are going to be available on a regular basis, you're probably going to see this behavior. He may be adapted to competition behavior. Hope he realizes theres no other pup around drink at will.

Thank you

He is learning.. lol we both are learning