Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassboy1645

New Army phone??

16 posts in this topic

I just got a new phone from virizon yesterday. I dont know if the army atcually uses them or if thyre just dubbed "army" phones but thyre supposbly shock proof, water proof, and dirt proof. Im curious to find out but I dont want to try it haha. Seems like a great Idea for sportsman like me who wreck phones with water exposure or banging them out of treestands and onto rock blush.gif. Anyone see these or have experience with them?? Oh I got insurance too! grin.gif

Which model is it?

That would be the Casio vz'one or something like that. There is a type V and type S. They are built to military spec for waterproof and shock.

I heard really good things about them. They can really take a beating. I've seen underwater pictures they've taken. I bought a new phone recently and thought about this one hard.....until I could actually hold one in my hand. It literally is a brick. No carrying this thing in your pocket.

I saw one website that had a guy holding one next to a very old nokia brick phone and it wasn't much smaller.

So I passed on it.

My apologies for hi-jacking the thread, but Dtro--what phone did you end up going with? I'm with Verizon also, and in the market for a new one. I currently have the VX8100. Have some interest in the new Moto Q...

I purchased the I580 motorola. I have dropped this phone in lake at boat launch, had things drop on it at work and it still keeps on kicking! The 2 way feature is a must in my life!

31980311-2-300-palm-2.gif

31980311-2-300-overview-1.gif

31980311-2-300-buttons-3.gif

Quote:

My apologies for hi-jacking the thread, but Dtro--what phone did you end up going with? I'm with Verizon also, and in the market for a new one. I currently have the VX8100. Have some interest in the new Moto Q...

I actually went with the new chocolate (LG 8550). I had the 8100 at one time and my last phone was the Moto E815.

I really like the new phone. Taking a while to get used to a slider, but the screen is outstanding. I teamed it up with VZ navigator and it's been fun.

I thought I knew to quickest way to many of my destinations, but the navigator has shown me the light wink.gif

The only downfall of the 8550 is that is a scratch magnet. Sound quality is excellent, reception is not quite as good as the 815 (815 had an extendable antenna). But I like the music player, and I also have a few full length movies, and some fishing video on it as well.

I would pass on the Moto Q. I had one and it was a pain. I had to hit the reset button at least twice a day and I had all kinds of trouble dialing out. When you dialed the number you had to wait a good 5 seconds before it would start ringing or it would just hang up and then you would have to go through the process again. I did like the email on it and the internet was handy when you were out fishing to see if there was bad weather on the way. Battery life was also bad. I could barely make it a full day on a charge. I now have a Palm 700wx which is about the same as a Q but much more reliable. I have been happy with this one so far other than the battery life. I miss having just a plain phone because of the size and battery life of the phones I have had lately.

The only way I would go with one of the smartphones would be if I was planning on doing email or a bunch of text messages. They do not make great phones.

Went with the LG VX8600 (verizon)- the flip phone comparable to the chocolate. I love it. Excellent coverage on all the lakes I've been to, such as Bowstring, Mille Lacs,alex area, Duluth area, and all the lakes down here in S MN. Dropped it a few times, sat on it..havn't given it a bath yet though.

I am also looking at the Q though for my next upgrade.

I have liked my I580! It has all the gps nav features, Sat. TV feature, with movies amd MP3 player. I even purchased Golden Tee and play it all the time. This standard with todays phones.

The one thing that set my I580 apart is two major thing I can think of for the sports man. First is the pull out ant. DTRO talked about, second it the little light spot next to camera lenz. This is a spot light for Video, flash light and flash for camera. This little thing has saved me a couple times all ready. The phone is all rubber and absorbes all impacts. I have seen the guys on AM chopper using it. ITS COOL!

THAFzIhTRRWS83p8ZlwXg+Ar57iREPYN0300.jpg

PHqKR-qIv9a+s68KKYGZSD0fzE8livdt0300.jpg

Any other phones have a flash or light on it?

I ran the Verizon g'Zone for a month.

I beat mine around pretty good with work, sweat, dust, etc., and the Samsung I'd been running had gone kaplooey on me 3 times last year.

The g'Zone was a nice phone, but it had almost zero total 'get-it-now' features, and literally zero that I used for work, so I had to take it back in.

Now I'm running the LG Vx8300. There's a light for video and flash.

Check out what Qwest has to offer. We have the new Sanyo-7050 Military Spec phone. This phone also has bluetooth technology. Sanyo has been #1 in customer satisfation for the past 5 or 6 years if I remember correctly. As for Qwest all of their current wireless plans are National plans with no roaming or long distance charges nationwide.

does QWEST have their own network or are they wholesaling someone elses?

To answer my own question after a trip to the web, looks like they are reselling sprint service.

Qwest uses mainly Sprint towers, however all customer service and billing is in house. Qwest and Verizon are currently tied in customer satisfaction according to JD Power.