• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any body have issues with Kent Shells?

MuleShack

Thru some good words on this site, i decided to try kent steel shot this year. (along with the reasonable price)

I have a bennelli M1Super 90 12 ga auto 3". After shooting (or trying to) 3 salvos at 3 different groups of geese, the 2nd shell has failed to chamber...it jammed and doesn't align as the tip of the shell hits the side of the chamber.

I have had this gun for 6 or 7 years now shooting federal rounds and it never happened. Yes the gun is clean.... grin.gif

The above happened on 3 seperate mornings Goose hunting. And then i go to the gun club and fire off 150 rounds of low brass federals with no problems.

Has anyone else had any issues with Kent ammo?

If i can find my receipt, i'm going to trade it in for something else.

Funny thing you should mention that. Opening weekend I shot some 3.5" Kent Shells I had left over from Snows this spring. First flock came in and I got 1 shot off. The other shells jammed up. Next flock, same thing! I attributed it to pre-season excitment and haven't thought much about it. Funny thing is, since then I have been shooting Federal shells and have had zero problems.

i'm pretty sure there was a thread on this a little while ago, seems every gun/shell combo is different, i shoot a rem 870 and have the excact same problem shooting winchester Xpert shells, others with the same gun had problems with federals, kents flow threw my gun like butter and pattern awsome, so thats what i shoot most of the time, i would just find a shell that works with your gun and gives a good pattern and stick with it

Kents flow through my benelli like butter also, but I got a nova(pump) they never jam grin.gif I have not heard of one problem with the kents jamming and I know quite a few guys who use them in autos. If federals work for ya I would stick with them.

My Ben. SBEII does not like 3.5 kent shells. Same problem as you described. Measured the shells. 1-3 milimeters longer than the other brands. Some guns will work with them, others won't. When shells are cheaper there is a reason why. Never buy cheap shells. Might not have any problems at first but you don't want it biting you in the a** at that important time.

Kent shells are usually a little more spendy than the regular federals. Not sure if it has anything to do with cheaper shells. Shell pricing has alot to do with brand name, but I wouldnt doubt a little size difference from brand to brand. Anyway, I love Kents. This is the first year i have shot them, but they were the best brand for my gun I have found so far. Maybe its just a bad batch that they manufactured for those of you whos guns wont take it? Good Luck in the field!

I've shot kent's at waterfowl for the last 3-4 years. I shoot a SBE and have never had a problem with the shells jamming in my gun. I shoot both 2 3/4 and 3 1/2 inch shells.

I have been through 4 cases of 3" and 7 cases of 3.5" Kents over the last 4 seasons and have not had one single jam in my Browning Gold. Remingtons on the other hand are a problem in my gun. Like mentioned above, certain shells work better in certain guns. I think it goes beyond gun models all the way down to individual guns.

I have shot two cases already this fall and have not had a single jam out of my Berretta A-391.

I never had a jam in the beretta 390 in 2 3/4" or 3". The 870 has no problems either.. but I dont think anything jams in a 870.

Kent are excellent shells.

I have the exact same gun-Benelli M1 Super 90, and have shot probably 2 cases of Kent 3" through it so far. It has NEVER jammed then or with any other size or brand of shells I've put through it.

One thing to check might be the magazine to make sure the spring is working right or nothing is stuck in there. I've had a little stubble and stuff in there before and could see how it could have caused problems. Now I check and clean it every few weeks of the season. Good luck finding the problem, let us know if you find it!

I have also shot numerous cases of Kent shells both 3 and 3.5 inch through my Browning Gold and it has never had a jam. But then again it has never had a jam with any brand or size.

I have shot Kent for the last couple of years mixed in with some others. The one that I found that will jam or get stuck is the pmc stuff. Not something I would EVER buy again. kent has NEVER jammed or mis-fired. I have shot over 2 cases a year for the last 5 and no problems.

Quote:

When shells are cheaper there is a reason why. Never buy cheap shells

works great for me. I have been shooting Estate Cartridge shells for 5 1/2 and they never jam and perform great at 9.99-13.99 a box for 3 inch shot 2 or 3 1/2 inch bb shells.

You know the funny thing is when i load three 3" Kents in - to do a rapid fire test to see how it works, they fire seemlessly with no problems. It was just the 3 different times i was firing at Honkers with flaps down when it happened. I hope it isn't just Karma finding me... grin.gif

I think i'll pull it apart and lube it up again and check that spring and see what happens.

I'm not bashing kent by anymeans here, i just wanted to see if it was a bennelli / Kent thing or just my gun.

I think your problem is the gun, I'll take it off your hands for a mere $100. Heck I'll even take a personal check. Just include it when you ship. grin.gif

Seriously, If your gun doesn't shoot Kent's it's not the end of the world. Use what works best (pattern it too) I would try to stick with the high velocity rounds as they "hit" much harder. I've got a Gold 3 1/2 that HATES winchester shells, which WAS all I used to shoot. Now I use Kent and after 2 cases so far so good.

It's wierd how some guns get finicky like that. I don't have problems with Kent, but I can't shoot Drylok through my BPS. It isn't very happy with me when I do. confused.gif

I've shot kents for the last 4 years in my Extrema I. It's never jammed once. I did have 2 shells that basically belched out with no power, maybe the shell got wet?

Overall they are a nice load that is very hard on ducks and geese.

I shoot a Mossberg 835 and never had any issues with Kent shells. My dad shoots an old Browning A-5 and has never had a problem with Kent shells either. Now Federal shells are a different story.

I have a Benelli Nova and a M1 and have had only one problem in 3 cases. I had the brass fall of one of the shells with my Nova. If you have a problem send it back to kent and they will take care of you. I have had a lot more problems with Federal, mostly the wad was not expanding, so it was like I was shooting slugs. I exploded a few ducks. I like Kent and wouldn't buy anything else for waterfowl.

I shot Kent for years until I had customers coming in with blown up barrels. 3 blown barrels in four years, all from Fast Steel. They do have a better crimp than most shells and when they open up they are a little longer than most and some guns jam because of this. I never had one jam. I just stopped shooting it because of all the blown barrels coming in that were shooting fast steel. And yes Kent did back the barrels, but who wants a barrel blowing up in there face? If i want to gamble that bad I'll buy a scratch off.

On a second note. Kent gained its reputation for having Fast loads. Yes they do but if you take a box of Federal Premiums they are simular in price same speed, and are plated. We all know that plated shot penetrates better, so why shoot the Kent. They don't offer rebates, and are seldom on sale. I just don't know what is so good about them, other than a Chevy Ford thing. Thats what my buddy shoots or something like that, or if its not broke don't fix it idea.

i shoot a 3 inch weatherby, every-other kent shell doesnt eject. like there to long after there fired off. i still say you cant go wrong with federal shotgun shells.

Kent Shells work incredibly well in my 870.

I had been shooting Winchester & Federal, can't remember exactly which kinds, for a couple years and was just shooting horribly. I seriously couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at 10 yards. Dad was shooting Kent and I borrowed some of his shells when I ran out in the field one day. It was like someone flipped the light switch on, I went from missing every bird flying by to dropping everything I shot at. It was incredible and eye opening at the same time to variations in shells between manufacturers. I've just stuck with Kent from that day since I have confidence with them, and my shooting when I have them loaded in the gun.

Completly opposite story for me Hanson. My hunting partner and I used to shoot only fasteel. We switched to federal and got better patterns and more birds falling stone dead. We both have 870's

I'm a fan of FastSteel. Used to shoot Federal Premiums, mostly from my Franchi, 26" barrel w/ Mod, 3"

If I don't get a dead duck, it ain't the shots fault.

Can't say regarding 3.5 as I haven't shot those yet from my Mberg 835.