• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Couple more truck questions

Cooter

Question

First off, anyone pouring oil down on the inside of truck doors? My old girl has a bit of rust starting on the very bottom of the drivers side door.

Second question, yes or no for undercoating on an older truck? I'm not talking the whole frame and crap, just inside of wheel wells, cab corners, etc. I know you gotta get the old rust off or you're just sealing it in, but I've heard both sides - do it and don't. I'm leaning towards just coating the undersides with used oil. Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Never heard of the oil trick before, but why not. That rust is most likely due to the drain holes in your door being cloged. Doors are designed to allow water inside but it should drain out. Part of your routine maintance should be to make sure these drain holes are clear, a coat hanger works well.

I wouldn't coat the undersides with used oil. It will attract dirt and road grime, including salt, which will rust it out even faster. You could sand off the big rust spots and just spray paint over it?

I would not recommend the oil. Almost all of it is going to run off and pollute the road ways and eventually run off into the water!!!

Once rust has started it is nearly impossible to stop or eliminate.

One possible solution, AMSOIL has a synthetic "spray wax" which comes in an aerosol which works well as a spot undercoater. Though I have no experience with it penetrating and stopping existing rust.

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=52257&page=storefront/amh

Through the years I have had 2 vans which had severe lower panel rust from salt. One from when I lived in Peoria, IL; and another from beach salt corrosion (yes in Florida we can have similar problems just from a different origin). I started at the lower side crease line 12" to 18" up from the bottom. I covered the area starting just below the line with roof cement/tar. Then I took a piece of galvanized "valley tin" pop-riveting it at the top edge, the crease line and rolling it and riveting it again at the bottom. With a door with the drain holes fold under just a small amount at the bottom being careful not to cover the drain holes. Yes, of course you will have to paint it. This patch held up very well for over 5 years on both vans for me.

Has anyone tried any of those rust converters. Supposedly you scrape or brush off the loose rust and then apply the rust converter and it chemically reacts with the rust to form a paintable surface. Napa sells one and there are a few others I found on the net, just not sure if they really work.

A buddy of mine sprays a very light coat of tranny fluid on the insides of his doors. Tranny fluid will eat rust as well as prevent it. Just a thought. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo