• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Its a love, hate relationship.

Guest Kyle

Last weekend I saw five deer, of which 4 were within 30yds. Last weekend was cold where I was so it was a great time to be in the woods. Strange thing, they were moving at odd times. Mid morning and mid afternoon. Last saterday I was getting out of my stand at 11 because the wind kind of switched and became pretty strong so Im thinkin that the deer wont like to be moving around in it, well just as I was getting out of my stand I had a little six come in at 25yds. Needless to say, last weekend was fun. This weekend was completely different. friday evening was extremely windy and 50 degrees. Didnt see a thing until after shooting light was over and was walking back to my truck. Saterday I hunted all day. The high was around 75, wind was wrong, but I scented up very very well, and had hunted winds from the wrong direction before and still had deer in close(plus I didnt have another stand set up). Saw one fox at 11am, and nothing the rest of the day. Sunday morning, the wind was still bad, and it was 68 degrees when I woke up. The high was like 83, it was rediculous! The strong wind, mixed with the heat and no deer all weekend put me in a frustrated mood. So, I got down at 9:30am and within 50yds of my stand I saw a nice big doe drinking water from a creek that ran into a slew. Followed the trail she ran off on and at this point was just searching for a new spot. Found one that looks pretty good so I put up there. Wont get to hunt it for a couple of weeks but am lookin forward to it. Besides the wind and warmth, though those are two big factors of deer movement, I cannot understand why there werent any deer moving in the morning and right before dark? They know what the weather is going to be like, you'd think they would at somepoint need to get up and drink or eat, why wouldnt they do it at the most calm and cool part of the day (morning)?

Every time I think about deer hunting I get excited. However, there are times I get out of the stand or come back from a weekend just disgusted that nature can be so unpredictable just when you think its the most predictable time of the year. That is why it is a love hate relationship. If anyone has any tips for getting into deer, and not being scented other than wind factors, let me know. I think everyone can agree that hunts are alot more fun when you at least get to see the animal you are pursuing if nothing else.

Thanks

Many time I have seen deer travel and feed later in the evening when all have left thier stands. probably due to the fact that when its hot, they will travel and feed in the middle of the night when its cool. I'm sure they also feel safer when its windy not traveling during daylight hours as the wind will make too much noise in the woods and things are always moving. The deer get spooked and then get very wary like a coyote.

One also has to remember that the farther we get into the season with hunting and people in the woods, this will also change travel patterns and travel time for the deer. They will get very nocturnal with more pressure. I don't know where you hunt but I would really try to keep my hunting spots to more areas where there is very few people in the area you choose to hunt.

Another factor right now, the moon is almost full. Deer seem to be more active at night during full moon, then again during mid day. I keep a journal of all my hunting and have seen this time and again.

I am in the same boat. although I have only sat out once this year , but plan on hitting it hard the next few weeks, I always hate it when the deer give me the slip. you out into your stand thinking I have to connect with one tonight and you don't see a darn thing. I love the game too much to hate it for long. just too darn addicting!

Hunter I agree it must of been a tough weekend to hunt, I didn't go out because of the warm weather and the wind just wasn't right for where my stand is located. Even though I did sit Friday night in the wind and had two bucks sparring each other 20 yards away which was a cool site and a first time for me to see. Only problem was that it was getting to that time where it was hard to see even at 20 yards. But they were sparring for about 10 minutes while in the mean time a small doe and fawn came right past my stand less than 10 yards. Then it wasn't a few minutes and both bucks came by both at less than 10 yards as well. I could not tell what their racks were like because the only light I had was the moon light but both their bodies were nice, so that was pretty cool to witness. Plus 2 nights (Wednesday night) prior I had a nice buck come within 10 yards as well about the same time of evening I witnessed these 2 bucks sparring, along with the doe and fawn moving on Friday night. So they aren't moving early enough for me to get a shot, but one of these bucks is gonna make a mistake of coming out early so I just have to be there at the right time with the right conditions, coolness and wind!

Another detail to add is I placed "scent bombs" I call them that I make, with Trails End 307 in them and placed the 2 scent bombs 20 yards away on different trails that go past my stand out on Wednesday night. I also dragged a cloth with Trails End scent on it tied on a piece of string to my boot on these trails as well and I know it worked well with that buck I saw on Wednesday because he smelt my scent bomb on one of the trails and had his nose to the ground the whole time while walking on the trail, but like I said he came out when it was getting very dark. But on Thursday I removed the scent bombs about midday because it was going to rain and I wanted the scent to wash away. I know rattling or grunting might work on getting one of these bucks to come in earlier, but I'd rather not give up my location and keep things as natural as possible except for using the scent because that seems to work!

So my season has been pretty interesting to say the least so far, these deer are really curious on the land that I am hunting plus they really have never been bow hunted before because I have always spent the majority of my time the last few falls hunting in the Bemidji area because I went to college up there. So like LH stated if you can find an area that is not getting pressured right now and just hit it right you should find deer, but as the season progressed more and more people will be out in the woods and patterns will change. I just hope these bucks' patterns don't change in the time being, but they will once the corn they are bedding down in goes off and rut kicks in, then it will be tough! Only problem is I'd like to get out and do some fall fishing cuz I know they are biting and that won't last to long (panfish) and the area where I am hunting has the early antlerless gun season to in October so as a bow hunter those bucks are really going to go nocturnal here in 2 weeks! I just hope no one in the area participates in the early season smile.gif

I had bad results this weekend, didnt see a single deer up in the TOGO, MN area,

But it was all worth while having A large black timberwolf come 2 feet from the tree i was sitting in. I will admit walking out of the woods in the dark 10 minutes after having a wolf smell your deer smell ladend clothes gave me an uneasy feeling.

blush.gif