Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAMOMAN

Fall fishing ?s

14 posts in this topic

Planning to run up for the weekend of Oct 6th - staying at WW in one of the cabins. Wondering what the typical plan of attack is around that time? Just will be trying to find some active eyes or slabs. I have never fall fished Red & there does not seem to be a ton of talk on here about it? Is there a reason why.... I am hoping just b/c everyone else is starting to think about hunting rather than fishing. PS - Bringing the wife who is a URL virgin, so a successful trip this time would help the cause! Thanks.

Yes everybody is to wrapped up about hunting to go fishing. Fall fishing on Red can be some of the best, truly my favorite time of the year for nice walleye and trophy pike. Red lake is begining to see a major migration. Some of the favorite chow in Red Lake spawns in the fall, of course the walleye and big pike follow the lunch wagon into shallow water, say 5-7 feet over gravel looking for WHITE or SILVER things to eat. wink.gif

P.S. Dont mention wife/virgin and Waskish all in one sentence, it just gets the locals all worked up. This is a small, remote town. grin.gif

I'm in so much trouble with admin shocked.gifgrin.gif

you wouldn't happen to be related to that admin would you?

No admin is the big guy behind the curtians. Me and KellyP are just moderators we only act if you guys are attacking eachother....

Only good thing about that is she is only the V until Friday when we hit the lake.... after that, she's just the same ol' gal...

wink.gif

Thanks for the info.. will certainly be stopping by the Station for the bait & any last minute tips/info.

Which way do you like to fish them that shallow? Pitching jigs, slip bobber or drifting? IMO, you can't beat a jig & a minnow!

ps - does it pay to try to find some slabs? I really dont care either way - I just would like to get onto some fish & it makes no difference to us if we have to throw back a bunch of fish outside the slot...

You can never go wroung with a little joe spinner in my book

Only a couple days to go... whats the current fishing report? Anyone finding any eyes or has it been too windy up there too?

We may get out this coming weekend and we will work the rock piles for are walleye dinner.

Wind has been keeping many boats in the marinas although the ones that are getting out have been finding fish moving back in shallow off of the rocks and following the fall spawning species into shore. This is a typical move this time of the year for Upper Red Lake, every things slams up tight to shore until the ice comes on and they move back out to deeper water where the 02 and temps are more comfy for winter livin'. Some fish will be on the rocks but the old timers and long time locals will be in shallow fishing. wink.gif

So are you running the break between the 4-8 foot water and the 12 water for the walleyes?? What is the best option, jig and minnows or pulling a crank bait or two over the areas?? Will be up on Thursday to try the lake for a few days.

In the fall I run alot of cranks pulling double duty. Pick up eater walleye and a big pike every so often. For the most part I will run #5-#9 shad raps super slow in a big s from 3-7 feet. Working a area until my GPS trail looks like a DNA ladder then move down a 1/4 mile and start a new area.

O.K. Thanks Jon. How slow is slow?? 1 mph?? With a # 5 -#9 in those depths you can't have too much line out, I'll have to look at the dive book, but my guess is that you would have less than 20' of line out, would a bait that runs shallower that those be better to get more line out, or does that screw up the S pattern?? Any colors you see working better than others??

Thanks-