• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall fishing ?s

CAMOMAN

Planning to run up for the weekend of Oct 6th - staying at WW in one of the cabins. Wondering what the typical plan of attack is around that time? Just will be trying to find some active eyes or slabs. I have never fall fished Red & there does not seem to be a ton of talk on here about it? Is there a reason why.... I am hoping just b/c everyone else is starting to think about hunting rather than fishing. PS - Bringing the wife who is a URL virgin, so a successful trip this time would help the cause! Thanks.

Yes everybody is to wrapped up about hunting to go fishing. Fall fishing on Red can be some of the best, truly my favorite time of the year for nice walleye and trophy pike. Red lake is begining to see a major migration. Some of the favorite chow in Red Lake spawns in the fall, of course the walleye and big pike follow the lunch wagon into shallow water, say 5-7 feet over gravel looking for WHITE or SILVER things to eat. wink.gif

P.S. Dont mention wife/virgin and Waskish all in one sentence, it just gets the locals all worked up. This is a small, remote town. grin.gif

I'm in so much trouble with admin shocked.gifgrin.gif

No admin is the big guy behind the curtians. Me and KellyP are just moderators we only act if you guys are attacking eachother....

Only good thing about that is she is only the V until Friday when we hit the lake.... after that, she's just the same ol' gal...

wink.gif

Thanks for the info.. will certainly be stopping by the Station for the bait & any last minute tips/info.

Which way do you like to fish them that shallow? Pitching jigs, slip bobber or drifting? IMO, you can't beat a jig & a minnow!

ps - does it pay to try to find some slabs? I really dont care either way - I just would like to get onto some fish & it makes no difference to us if we have to throw back a bunch of fish outside the slot...

• 2 weeks later...

Only a couple days to go... whats the current fishing report? Anyone finding any eyes or has it been too windy up there too?

We may get out this coming weekend and we will work the rock piles for are walleye dinner.

Wind has been keeping many boats in the marinas although the ones that are getting out have been finding fish moving back in shallow off of the rocks and following the fall spawning species into shore. This is a typical move this time of the year for Upper Red Lake, every things slams up tight to shore until the ice comes on and they move back out to deeper water where the 02 and temps are more comfy for winter livin'. Some fish will be on the rocks but the old timers and long time locals will be in shallow fishing. wink.gif

So are you running the break between the 4-8 foot water and the 12 water for the walleyes?? What is the best option, jig and minnows or pulling a crank bait or two over the areas?? Will be up on Thursday to try the lake for a few days.

In the fall I run alot of cranks pulling double duty. Pick up eater walleye and a big pike every so often. For the most part I will run #5-#9 shad raps super slow in a big s from 3-7 feet. Working a area until my GPS trail looks like a DNA ladder then move down a 1/4 mile and start a new area.

O.K. Thanks Jon. How slow is slow?? 1 mph?? With a # 5 -#9 in those depths you can't have too much line out, I'll have to look at the dive book, but my guess is that you would have less than 20' of line out, would a bait that runs shallower that those be better to get more line out, or does that screw up the S pattern?? Any colors you see working better than others??

Thanks-

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.