Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ccarlson

Power steering on 97 suburban

7 posts in this topic

I have a 1997 suburban with about 100,000 miles on it. This model year has a very easy steer power steering system, even more sensitive than my 99 chev.

Lately, at speeds from 30+ mph as I turn the steering wheel, it will suddenly feel as if it is giving much more power to the steering. It is like a surge of power or a significant reduction in the resistance of the steering wheel. It is not a full time reduction in resistance but more of a sporadic feeling that comes and goes as I turn a corner. It is enough of a problem that on icy roads it will affect stability.

Power steering fluid level is fine but it has had a slight leak at the pump over the past couple years. Hardly enough to have to add a small amount of power steer fluid once a year. Any ideas? Power steering pump going bad? Some other steering system component?

I also thought about the tires but the pattern and feel of the problem would indicate it is not the tires.

Thanks,

ccarlson

more than likely your steering wheel evo sensor is the

problem my 98 does the same thing. its a pretty simple fix

at the bottom of the steering coloum

It kind of catches you off guard if you are not used to it! My Tahoe seems to do it more as the temps cool.

I agree with AZBAKER....EVO sensor.

EVO sensor for sure. Its located at the base of the steering column inside the truck. Minimum tools required, disconnect the steering shaft, (one bolt) one plug in connector, slide it off the shaft. Pretty easy fix if you dont mind standing on your head for a few minutes. confused.gif

Thanks guys! I'll pick one up and replace it. If that is the fix, you probably saved me a bunch in shop fees.

ccarlson

Thanks for the answer on this problem! On mine (98 K1500)it was called a steering wheel position sensor but the same fix. The guy at the auto parts store had never sold one of these and went on and on how you see something new every day. The steering works great now; glad to have it done before winter.