Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
harvey lee

Wounded deer signs

harvey lee

I will pin this at the top so all can reference this for a wounded deer for blood and hair to know where you hit the deer.

Here are some tips for sign when tracking a wounded deer. Take note of blood color and hair color and this will help you know where you hit the deer.

BLOOD COLOR

Lung hit: Blood that appears frothy with bubbles.

Liver or Kidney: Very dark blood.

Gut or intestinal: Blood that has particles of vegetation.

Heart and arteries: Blood will appear a dark maroon color (like the liver or kidney).

Flesh wound: Blood will appear a light red.

Deer Hair

Side and neck: Hair is short and fine (1-3/4 inches) brown with black tips and gray near the bottom.

Brisket: Hair is curly, up to 2 inches long, stiff and are whitish-gray with black tips.

Shoulder: Hair is wavy up to 2-1/2 inches long with two bands of black near the tips and brown through the rest.

Heart: Long and fine usually 3-1/2 to 4 inches in length, black tipped, tan below and the rest gray.

Stomach: Hair is slightly wavy, coarse and up to 2-1/2 inches long and will usually be all white.

Hindquarter: Wavy hair usually 1-1/2 inches long with brown and black tips, gray below that and gray at the bottom.

Chest: Hair is fine and wavy, usually about 1-1/2 inches long. They are black tipped with black or tan, followed by a tan and a grayish-white at the base.

Tippman

Great reference Harvey. I will add to not rely on length of hair much since it was cut off short from your broadhead or bullet and varies with size of the deer.

harvey lee

I agree but most times one can see the color of the tips of the hair. Sometimes at the site where the deer was shot one can find chunks of hair from the exit hole.

Tippman

Correct, color is very important

Meaney

Just know where the proper area to shoot the deer smile.gif

1shot1kill wink.gif

But, good post either way. I just had to give ya heck

Ron Burgundy

Like a road sign? It could have a big buck walking upright with crutches! Look at the time of this post and you'll understand my state of mind.

Meaney

hahaha! cool.gif

PRFISHER

question...

Background, we live on a dead end road with a mile long driveway, our 10 acre farmstead is surrounded with corn and a little woods.

Sat. night my wife was mowing the lawn and up our driveway a small doe walked right into the yard, she stated that it was bleeding out of the mouth area. It walked 20 feet from the house and when the dogs saw it they chased it back into the corn it then proceeded to bolt back out of the corn and ran in between our house and our detached garage and back down the driveway.

Was this deer sick, we have lived in the spot for 7 years and never had a deer in our yard, it was really strange. We see a lot of deer and I have hunted within shouting distance of my yard but this was way different. I asked the closest neighbors if they had hit a deer with their vehicle. I also wonder if it had been chased by dogs, or yotes. I know that my dogs were in the yard at the time playing fetch with the kids so I know they weren't the culprits.

Any clues?

really strange...

harvey lee

I would guess it could have been sick, wounded or cut its mouth or tongue. Who knows.

william wallace

HIV

troutmaster

maybe it had deer aids? my friend's cat had cat aids.

Dave S

I hear that on the southern U.S. coast line they have found a strain of "Gator Aids".

Heartman

Now that's just plain funny!

Tanks! Boom!

Grumpy

There is such a disease as cat AIDS. I just learned about this a month or so ago and did some research to find that it is true. Being a cat owner, I wanted to know more, particularly to make sure it was not transmittal to humans (it's not).

primetime49

as stated by my neighbor lady

[why dont they take down that deer crossing sign by the orchard,it seems that if they had the deer cross somewhere else not so many would be run over]