• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone used gulp alive for trolling?

Hoffer

Hey all-

we are heading upto canada next week and we were thinking of picking up some gulp alive. We usually slow troll with lindy slip sinkers with a spinner and a hook. Havent had too much luck where we go with jigging - so i was wondering if these berkely alive baits were made mainly for jigging style?? or do you think (or have experience) that they would work well with walleyes with like a typical little joe spinner - slow trolling. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I use the 4" Alive minnows trolling and jigging on LOW. I also use the Gulp crawlers too. I have success with both.

I picked up some of the 3" Gulp Alive minnows and haven't had the chance to fish with 'em much, so the jury is still out. They look great for jigging though, and have heard that the leeches work well too. Pricy, but I hate dealing with minnows. Anybody else have an opinion on Gulp Alive products?

My experience with it is that it sometimes works as well as live bait, other times it doesn't work at all. Live bait performs well consistently. That, to me, is a huge difference.

I always keep a package of gulp natural earthworms with in case I run out of bait. It happened to me once and the bite kept on...but when its that good you can pretty much catch them on anything.

I agree with Quest, live bait is more consistent.

Good luck in Canada with whatever you choose.

Quote:

My experience with it is that it sometimes works as well as live bait, other times it doesn't work at all. Live bait performs well consistently. That, to me, is a huge difference.

Bingo sometimes they want plastic sometime live bait. It is just like leechs minnoews or crawlers they all have their day given the right situation. That said I am not sold on gulp alive but it might not have been the right time either. I have had great luck with regular gulp. But I am still one that like live bait better and have had the best luck on this.