• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys,

Has anyone been targeting walleyes on Minnewaska lately? I am going up to my parent's place this weekend and am hoping to put my wife and I on a few fish. Just curious if anyone is having any success. Is the water still really low up there???

Thanks,

Nate

Waska hosted a tournament over the weekend, looks like they were hard to come by except for a few on the winning board. Good luck to you, the fish out to start biting again with this cooler weather!

Check out the forums and the winning boats pretty much tell you where they caught their fish.

Hey Nate. How is married life treating you? I fished the tourney and it was very sloooow. We got 3 3/4 inches of rain this week and it just about covered the tires on my dock!!!! As far as fish, I would follow your dad smile.gif.

Hey Waskawood!

I was hoping you would chime in. Sorry to hear it was slow for the tournament. Did you fish in it last year too? I heard that you guys got a little bit of rain. I think my dad and I are going to take the dock in this weekend. I hate to take my dad's fishing advice but it usually is pretty good...hopefully he can put the wife and I on some fish. I just bought a new GPS with a lakemast chip that I am itching to use.

Later,

Nate

PS...Married life is great so far! smile.gif Maybe I will see you on the water.

This was the first year that we fished the tournament. I am not a competitive type fisherman. My daughter wanted to try it so I went along. We had a good time despite the slow action. I will be around on Sunday. Stop by if you get a chance and say hello. Good luck fishing.

Had a long/great day on Waska but managed 9 fish between 15" and 17.5" jigs and fatheads/shiners, could have used them last weekend. Couple weeks before they should really start snapping. Caught lots of fish between 13" and 14.5" busy day.

Hey Waskawood,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by on Sunday. We were busy taking the dock out and then I had to go down to Mankato and help my sister move. It was a busy day to say the least. We had some decent luck fishing. I caught a couple 15 inch walleyes and my wife caught the biggest one at about 18 inches. I also caught about a 5 pound northern that was a lot of fun to catch. I probably won't get up there again until November... Do you usually put your icehouse out in front of your place? I will definately have to stop by and say hi sometime.

Later,

Nate

Hey Jason,

Glad to hear you had some luck out there! It definately seems like they are starting to turn on.

Hi Nate,

I am happy to hear that the wife got a nice fish. I usually put the house out front or down in Bob's bay. I don't have a four wheeler so I usually have a guy from work set it out front so I can walk out. Once the ice is thick enough for my truck I move it around. Take care and have a nice fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Was up pulling docks and lifts Saturday in the heat. Those steel docks roll much easier in cooler weather, I swear.

Made it out on 'Waska for a few hours later in the afternoon. Got a few smallies and largemouth, and 1 lone walleye fishing the south shore across from Priest Pt. Went across to Priest Pt for the power hour with another dozen or so boats, and it was a bust. Few bites, but no fish in the boat for us.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.