Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boatfixer

Stoeger 2000?

16 posts in this topic

Any one have any input on these guns? looking for a second shotgun for my daughter. She wants to shoot a 12 at ducks and geese. I was considering the 2000 with a 26" barrel. So far the only concern that i've heard is that you have to break them in with heavier loads. Not really a concern, it's just that target loads won't operate the action right away. My father in law has a Benelli super black eagle and he had to do the same. (I guess the action is similar on both guns). Anyway, just looking for an economical semi-auto 12 for the kid. Thanks

I have a friend who has had problems with his action not ejecting shells; and firing shells in cold weather. I would look for a used Remington 1100 or 11-87, new if it is in the budget. I know guys who have been shooting 1100's for 25 years with little or no problems.

man my dad picked up a beretta extrema 2 used for 650 cant wait to try it.

tried the stoeger it kicks a bit more than most other shotguns ive tried

I hunt with a guy who bought one new last summer and has brought it back to GMTN 3 times already because the choke tubes keep getting stuck, but they are nice shooting guns. My opinion is spend the extra $50-100 and buy a nice remington 870 express. By far my favorite shotgun.

Mine has performed very well for me the past 2 plus years. Only misfire I have every had was when I was trying to see how much abuse the gun could take before it jammed. I shot a couple hundren trap rounds through it plus hunted with mine for two turkey seasons and most of duck season without tearing it down to clean it before it malfunctioned.

I did have one choke tubwe which wouldn't screw in and they replaced it promptly. Gander sells a ton of these and they've stated that they don't get many brought back.

Very good gun for the money.

does anyone know what kind of butt stock recoil pad will fit nicely on a stoeger 2000 i have the wood model

i also heard there is a MERCURY filled recoil reducer that can go in the butt stock...does anyone have this in theirs? does it work? where or how do you get them

I am going into my second season with my Stoeger 2000. I give it 7 out of 10 stars. The only problem I had last season was a jam here and there in extemely cold weather, and on one of my trips to ND last year, I was shhoting and a piece of plastice ejected out of the gun. It still shot for the rest of my trip (actually reduced jams to zero), and I brought it into Gander, they sent it back to Benelli (they manufacture stoeger) and it came back with the faulty piece replaced in the trigger housing. Since then I have done a lot of trap shooting and goose hunting and have not had any problems so far. Good semi-auto for the money.

I just bought one about 3 month's ago. Nothing wrong with it. Its nice because it is inertia driven. Buddy has had one for a couple years, nothing wrong with it. I have heard of it not ejecting shells or misfiring. but i have never seen it happen on the two i have seen shot before. Nice gun for the money.

Quote:

does anyone know what kind of butt stock recoil pad will fit nicely on a stoeger 2000 i have the wood model

I have the Sims rubber gun pad on mine. I have the wood stock and i think it looks good. It is a black rubber that comes in two sizes...i have the bigger one on. It actually makes it fit like a glove. love the gun...not a problem with it. keep it clean and you will love it to.

JP

I would say the 2000 is the best shotgun I have ever owned. This my 3rd season with it only had one problem and that was the choke tube was stuck so brought it back to sportsman's and I it was fixed in 2 weeks otherwise shoots all loads from 2 3/4 #7's to 3in BBB. If I were you I would defiantly get it

Quote:

i also heard there is a MERCURY filled recoil reducer that can go in the butt stock...does anyone have this in theirs? does it work? where or how do you get them

I would have my doubts on this. I don't think you can purchase anything with mercury in it. Even thermometers don't have mercury in them any more. It's highly toxic and can be absorbed through latex gloves.

There was a scientist a few years back that was supposed to be an expert in the field of mercury who attempted to handle some with latex gloves on. She ended up dying from mercury absorbtion.

I have the Mercury Recoil Reducer in my benelli. It works very well, but it makes it significantly heavier.

how much does it go for and where can i get it?

I would have sent you mine for free. I just took it out last night. I bought it because I had shoulder problems 6 years ago. It was about $30. I am expecting my first kid next week and the last thing I need is Mercury in the house. The guy above makes a good point. What if it breaks? My shoulder is better, so no need to risk it. It did work really well though.

Ironic, I am more worried about the mercury, than the gun itself. I guess firearm safety education worked for me.

you are right maybe just a recoil pad whats the fun WITHOUT the RECOIL he he he