• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix Rod Repair

Sandmannd

Question

I have a St. Croix Premier Walleye Rod. It doesn't have a serial number so that tells me it's out of warrenty (already spoke to St. Croix about that). This is a rod I got used. Anyway, my first outing with it I had a buddy put it away and he jammed it in the locker and broke the tip off down to the second eyelet. Is there a place I can get this repaired?

6 answers to this question

Sandmannd:

I would recommend Thorne Brothers, as I just had Matt fix a rod tip for me last week! I think it's around ~$15, and as long as they're not super busy, they should be able to do it for you while you wait.

The trick with doing it yourself is knowing exactly what to cut off, and what to keep, as removing even a small piece from the end of a rod can dramatically affect action and feel. As a general rule, removing less is best. You can do this yourself, but with your situation, having it being broken down to the second rod guide, I'd talk to the guys at Thorne.

Joel

Like Joel said, you will definitely feel a difference in the action of the rod. It will be more like a medium-heavy now. But don't let that discourage you. I did this to a medium light ice rod, and now it's a fantastic walleye rod.

You could replace the tip yourself, although I would also recommend bringing it in to a rod builder (or someone like Thorne Bros). I recommend it mainly because they will make sure that the tip is the right size. - If you broke your tip off at the second guide, you may need to go with a tip that is a half size bigger than what you have now.

If it's broke down to the second eye you will have a very different rod when a new tip is put on it. Depending on the orginial guide choices (size and spacing) to get the most out of the rod some or all of the guides may need to be removed and then reinstalled with a new guide spacing and probably some different sizes.

I you can find an old piece of a blank the right size you can splice them together. I have done this for a few folks and it comes out surprising well with little affect on the action of the rod.

I went up to Thorne Bros. this morning. I wanted to checkout the portable mod event and had never been up there before anyway. They did a great job on my rod for minimal cost and the store was great. They have everything in there and had a nice discount going today. Always nice to see Matt and get a few pointers from him as well. I'll get to test the rod out tomorrow. Probably won't be the same action, but it looks like it will be close.