• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

any reoladers here?

picksbigwagon

I am looking at getting into reloading, can't find any good .223 loads in the stores. I also shoot .45's so I will be reloading for those as well. Would I be better off with a progressive loader since I will be reloading .45's 38/357's and my buddies 10mm, or go with a single press..... I will probably single load the .223's just because I would like one hole 5 shot groups with my AR. Thanks for the help.....I am planning on buying a reloading book tomorrow night after work, since every where on the net I have looked, that is the first thing suggested....

yes I posted this in the archery and shooting forum as well

what loads for the 223 cant you find in the stores and what game requires 5 shot one hole groups to take down? just curious cause i dont seem to have a problem finding 223 ammo, that will shoot three shot clovers.

all we can get here for black hills is 55gr fmj's. I would like to step up to 60 gr or 68 grain bullets for the ar while coyote hunting. I know that winchester and Horn. make other loads, but I don't really feel like spending 25 bucks for a box of 20 the 5 shots in hole is just for getting it dialed in, for me personally that is. I can already shoot a 3 shot clover with 50gr. v-max, probably shoot all 5 in it if I could do my part.

where are you getting your rounds? and what do you shoot?

i shoot a CZ 527 American is 223. the best that i have found is the ultra max 223 50 grain NBT. also cabelas has 250 round count of of 55 grain v-max for i think about $115. The 50 grainers have worked good on coyotes so far and so why change.

I am not sure why I want to change, I dialed in american eagle 50 grainers and have settled on the BH 50 grain vmax, I have a friend with the exact same gun, and a 243 and a 308 as well. He loads all of my shotshells, and I am considering reloading for the .45 mostly but would do rifles as well. in the metro right now, all I can find are FMJ's......That cabela's deal is a pretty good deal, but I didn't know Hornady made a 55 gr. v-max. I will have to stop in Owatonna the next time I go through. Thanks for the help.

Roosterslayer, I just checked cabelas, I will be stopping there the next time I run past one, that is a pretty good deal. I remember getting the BH for $24 a box, these break down to $22 for a 50 box

I reload for my 25-06 and have thought about reloading for my .223. However, after putting a pencil and paper to it, I found that it just doesn't make much sense cost wise.

Most of the guys I know buy the Black Hills 52 gr match hollow points through their AR's.

If you plan on going with the bigger weights you better have a barrel to do so. As in a 1-8, or 1-9 twist otherwise it will be a lost cause. I guess i wouldn't reload for a 223, but that is just me. A progressive should give you the same quality of bullets, because its your job to find the perfect bullet and powdeer, primer combo. But it you are just loading a couple hundred for coyotes i wouldnt bother with the progressive. I can get a 100 done in not alot of time. It takes time and patience to reload and get good rounds for the one hole shooting.

Thanks Tom, the progressive would be because of the handgun reloads I will be doing. My AR15 has a 1:9 twist but shoots the daylights out of 50 grainers. we'll see where I get with this, I need to clean out and consolidate two storage rooms in our basement so I have an area to reload. That might take until after x-mas....

Hey picks, i am sure the 50 grainers shoot well out to 100 or so with the AR but the 60 v-max, 60 grain HP, and 68 grain matchkings, will actually stabilize well past 200 with a 1 to 8, or 1 to 9 twist. If your shots are going to be under 200 stay with what you are shooting but I think the heavy bullets will bring more consistantcy(spelling sorry.

I'd start out buying the single stage and add a progressive later. It will also help you add an understanding to the process and help prevent you from making mistakes which can be costly and dangerous. I would looking into buying both. Single stage hand loaders are great for working up loads and making precise rifle loads. If you are a high volume shooter a progressive is the way to go. I currently load with a single stage for my 270 and have recently purchased a 357. I have not loaded yet for 357 but i hate to think of the amount of work with a single stage. For the 270 it works fine but takes a lot longer then my cousin who uses a progressive press. I will typically shoot 50-100 rounds with the 357 in a setting and 10-20 with my 270. A single stage is nice to have along with a progressive if you want to break down the stages. Such as depriming. You will allways be able to find a use for your single stage.

Picks, I have a AR-15 DPMS 24in panther bull special, 1 in 9 twist and was pretty much in the same boat as you were, just not getting the groups I'd expected. So my friend had the loader that he uses for his 22-250 and though I'd give a try and wow what a differance! I used hornadys 60gr. v-max and tried 5 differant loads and achieved this with 5 shot groups all touching at 100yd and 1in group at 200. I also put in a JP trigger which really seamed to help. Theres also something about reloading that gives a sense of accomplishment!

I can get 4 out of 5 touching, the 5th always seems to leave a wee little bit of room. That is my fault not the 20" olympic K8, but that is with the 50 grain vmax....