• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

motor for duck boat

What do you use for a duck boat motor - We used to use an older (80's) 9.9 hp merc. but the marshes we hunt are too shallow and the motor get plugged up with slough junk. My uncle uses a gamefisher - but it is not too power full and noisy as heII. I have also tried using an electric trolling motor that worked OK I guess. Looking for something between the 9.9 hp and the gamefisher.

Kayak paddles in the small 10' Puddler boats, and a 50 hp on our big boat for the big water, which also carries a Puddler in it for us to use to go get birds, fine tune spread, etc.

The 12' boats help us bulk our flabby arms with the oars in medium water, and seem the most like traditional hunting method to us, as we grew up rowing, even fishing smile.gif

The Puddlers are my fav though.

Well, you won't set any speed records, but they will get you through some pretty heavy weeds. Find an older Johnson or Evinrude 3 or 4hp, with the wedge-shaped lower unit, and you'd be surprised how they go through absolute junk. Rice, pads, about anything you can float a boat in these things will run in.

Look around the internet and I bet you can find them for $200, maybe more. They're from as early as the 50's through the late 70's I think. more recent ones have seperate gas tanks, which are a bit less messy than the built-in ones further back in production.

Electric with 40# thrust for the puddles. 6 horse for "big" water.

BoxMN, do you hunt Winni or Leech or somewhere with that big rig?

What up GPC?

One word: Oars. You just have to get to the lake that much earlier or find a spot to put in closer to where you want to go. I used to make Tony paddle untill he got his own boat and motor, so now he tows me with that. grin.gif

Farley - BELIEVE me I have rowed and push poled across the lake a number of times - in my "older" age power is good, though

Quote:

BoxMN, do you hunt Winni or Leech or somewhere with that big rig?

Not yet. Use it on "lakes" and river, but we haven't hit the huge lakes. We even have used it on lakes that buddies with jon boats and 25hp said we could not get into, but our semi-V with motor tilted (manual) high can float in quite shallow stuff. It would be big enough for Winnie or Leech if we were careful about weather. It is an old Alumacraft Classic 16 rehabbed into open space floorplan with a Northern Flight blind. Kinda like a modern Yukon or Alaskan, but flat hull under stern. It is a kidney buster! smile.gif But we don't go too fast when hunting anyway.

go devil or mud buddy, i use them every weekend. I am looking at upgrading to a short tail, as they are by far the best. They can push a boat through about anything.

We use an old air cooled 6 hp on our 12ft. Can run in any crap without worrying about over heating. Also no water pump to freeze up in late November.

I have been using a Briggs and stratton outboard for the past 4 seasons works great no waterpump to worry about, ,4 cycle engine, I run synthtic oil, used it when it was 17 degrees out 1 morning started right up smile.gif

I've got a 3hp evinrude ducktwin weedless, and a 5hp johnson weedless. Both are real good at getting thru the muck. But not going to snap your head back when you hit the gas.

Seams like there are 3 ways a guy could accomplish this:

1) Human power - oars, paddles, pushpole

2) Modern Mud Motor

3) "Old" gas outboard. Something about an old, air cooled, gas outboard that just works for duck hunting. Alot of them even have built in gas tanks so you don't need to bring a big tank with, saves room in the boat.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have push poled, paddled and rowed this year. Now back to motors - I saw there are different places selling a Briggs & Stratton, 4 stroke, 5 hp, air cooled motor. I would think this would push a jon boat and a couple of guys ok. You would also not have to worry about the water plugging up from mud or freezing during late season hunts. Anyone ever used one? They sell for around 800 buck brand new/delivered.

Icecold - Is this the Motor you have been running?

i hunt big water in the late season i use a 20 horse merc. i bring it inside every night or it will be frozeup in the morning if that happens just let it sit in the water for little bit it will thawout make sure you are pumping water before you take off burn up your water pump not fun

I use the 5hp Briggs motor on my 12' boat. It is slow and noisy but fairly reliable. That said I have to admit that mine is in the shop with some sort of carb or timing problem. Other than that it is reliable, will start in cold weather, and is light. Bought mine used for $300.

Dirt king, Yes that is the motor I have bought it about 4 years ago for 475.00 new, I have it on a 14 foot alumacraft jon boat, it pushes boat okay, I guess I never have to go more than 3 blocks from where I unload it to where i hunt, but with gear and 1 other person it gets me where I need to go, starts good in cold weather, no waterpump, has foward,nuetral, reverse, kill switch, Works good for what i need it to do smile.gif

BOXMN, I have the same boat and was thinking of making it into a duck boat. but the problem I have is that I have a 75 h.p on it and does'nt handle shallow water to well crazy.gif and I don't have power trim.Did you totally strip it down to make the duck boat? or did you leave the floor in it?

Jar Jar