Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beef

Need help testing a 6 volt battery??

5 posts in this topic

I have 4 Mojo Batteries and not sure how to test them if they are charged or if they are dead... The trickle charges don't even tell me if they are charging...

Here is the question:

Is there a battery tester out there that will show the charge on a 6 volt battery? Also if there a tester out there that will show if the trickle charger is working..

I have, I think 2 trickle charges and can't tell if they work or not.. It seems like last year that after hunting I would take out the battery and put it on the charger for 24-48 hours and would only get 2 hours of use on it.... So I bought two batteries from Cabela's last spring at $2.00 a piece in the bargain cave... I put them on the charger four days ago and want to see if they took a full charge...

As you can tell I don't know a lot about electricity but I need to learn in a hurry...

Please Help...

Beef

Hey Beef, the key to testing if a battery is good or not is to see if it holds a charge while under a load, ie. hooked to something with some resistance when tested. If you want to test your batteries and also see if the charger is putting out a current I would recommend picking up a digital multimeter. They are fairly cheap these days. Your trickle chargers should list the output (likely less than 1A.)

You can get battery testers that place the batteries under a built in load, but they are pretty useless for anything else and likely wouldn't be able to test the chargers output too.

LB

This will do a load test on 6 and 12 volt batteries and you can test your charging system with it. Handy tool to have around.

I don't think I can post links here, but it is a 6 volt / 12 volt battery load tester. Cost is about $20-25.

Good luck.

93784.gif

Hayward,

Drop me an email on my sig... I have been looking all over Bemidji for something like that... L&M has one for $50 bills but it dosen't test 6 volt...

Thanks,

Beef

I got a digital multi-meter from sears for about $30, it tests any battery, I use it on 6 and 12 volts, 3 volts, 1.5 volts, etc. Very handy. You could try NAPA or some other auto-parts stores for something like that.

Also, you could probably take your 6 volts somewhere and have them tested - radio shack, automotive battery store, etc? Good luck.