Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huskie006

College Student

11 posts in this topic

I am a college student at SCSU, and was wondering if there are any good ice fishing crappie lakes around St. Cloud within 15 minutes of it? I know it's a little early to be talking about ice, but I'm just that excited to see if I can catch some fish around here.

Thanks,

Huskie006

give grand, pleasant, and pearl a try. there's a few in them lakes.

Those lakes usually do well, grand puts them out fairly well come last ice out to the right of the axis, otherwise the chain is a very good crappie spot when they're biting

Buy one of those map books put out by the Sportsmans Guide for your area. I used to be a student at SCSC and I used to fish below the Dam on 10th Street. Usually the Dam is open most of the year. It is Dynomite for Eyes, Smallies, and Pike. If it swims in the river it usually ends up below the Dam. I agree about hte 3 lakes previously mentioned. They are pretty good. I caught a 12, a 5 and a 6 one night when I was fishing the Dam. Needless to say I was the most popular guy in Shoemaker Hall that night!

huskie006 - If you don't mind driving a little ways (Annadale), give Pleasant and/or Clearwater a try. Both lakes are good for crappies.

Some of the lakes up by college are suppose to be ok, but have not tried them before.

As we get closer to the season, keep asking questions. The guys here will be more than happy to get you in the right direction!

Briggs can be so so and is relatively close.

Little Rock can have some good years and is easy to get to and has easy access on the lake.

Get out and fish while you still can. Remember, once you graduate you have to work the rest of your life.

I too am a SCSU student, are there any public areas to go duck hunting?

Hey, I am at St. Johns, and am from Il originally. There is plenty of land to hunt around here, get a map of the public hunting areas in the area, there is decent hunting to be had. Send me a pm if you want.

Yes lots of area within 30 minutes of the St Cloud area. After the first few weekends they aren't too crowded. Especially if you hunt at all during the week.

I was in your same spot, this site helped a lot but my best advice is just go out and fish all kinds of different lakes. I really got into ice fishing last year and hit up many lakes around the area, some i like more then others. Get out and try them all you will find one you like more then the rest.

go to palmer, take hwy 10 south, exit left on coutny road 16, then left on (??) to palmer follow the public access signs you come to a V one sign brings you to brigs, one sign brings you to julia, Both of them are good crappie lakes, ANd they don't have 3 eyes like crappies in little rock. Also, check out the missippi river right below the peir of catherdial high school.