Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sue

big northern

18 posts in this topic

[ DSCN0456.jpgYAY my first real big northern caught on september 4th on west end..on nothing but the best MEPPS 44 and half inches 15 pounds

nice fish.

Nice fish Sue. Coming up on Friday, pre-dawn to spend the weekend fishing muskies. My first time on the lake, I can't wait!!

I suppose tomorrow will be a long day!! frown.gif

Thanks...I envy you to get to be on the lake..lucky you..Hopefully I can pull off one more weekend..otherwise all the way to JULY...Ill take one long day compared to 10 long months...think I better take up ice fishing grin.gif

Thats a hawg of a northern grin.gif. I wouldnt want to be swimming with that. Nice catch wink.gif

Hey Sue,

Congrats on the big northern. I have a question regarding the weight. I think you owe yourself a bit more credit. Did you actually weigh the fish or was that a guess? Because if it truely was 44.5 inches, by my guess and fish calculators, that would put your fish in the 25+lb category. Just a bit better than the 15 lbs you stated. Unless it was really, REALLY skinny, which it doesn't appear to be. Very nice catch. I got one that went 45.5 inches once. I hope I'm correct in my weight thinking or I've been lying all these years and I never do that when it comes to fishing. smirk.gif

Its common to catch Pike on vermilion that have no bulk to them. Ive caught a 40 plus that wouldnt have gone over 15lbs.

Fish looks to be about 34.5 inches not 44.5 inches. typo I assume. And still a very nice fish.

I always find it very hard to judge anothers fish size when I wasnt there. Laying at a angle and looking down is very decieving. I have looked at pictures of fish including my own and miss judged them many times. Whatever the lenght its a very nice catch. smile.gif

That lunker looks fairly hefty. My research on length/weigh suggests that a 15 lb Northern is usually from 38 to 40 inches. This summer a friend was holding one that size up for a photo and after the fish thrashed about, he was on his way to the Cook hospital for 22 stiches in his hand. Those gill plates are sharp.

My tape measure only went to 40 inches..it was a good 4 to 5 more inches longer...my dad weighed him but to me it didnt seem real accurate...it looked to me between 15 and 16...but NO doubt about the length...The pictures..this one and the other I have on this page..(look under "one more pic" on this forum..were the only ones that made it look almost to the real size) pics did not do it justice...Wanted to hurry and release it so I can catch it a little bit fatter in July grin.gif

Thanks for the quick release. Well I think your dad needs to get a new scale or he was low balling you so that he could say he got a bigger fish. I'd say because you know the length to be 44-45 inches, and she looks healthy enough, that you caught a pike in the 25lb class. So quit being so humble and saying you caught a 15lb fish. That is a BIG difference. Congrats. That is a true trophy here in MN. I love Vermilion.

Thanks Art...I think I will go with the 25lb story now...I agree I LOVE Vermilion also..No place like it. Your right about my dad we are in strong competition..hes got a big musky but his goal is a 20lb plus northern..Im looking to get a replica to hang on the wall ..any suggestions from anyone of a good place to do this? Hopefully I can catch a mate next July.. grin.gif

Matt Yernatich at Artistic Anglers in Duluth!

Best replicas that I have ever seen!

Cliff

Cliff, Thanks..Where are they located? Or a # ..Im taking a weekend up to Duluth in a couple weeks..be staying in canal park..any info appreciated. I know where Marine General is.Close to that?

Nice fish Sue.........love the hat!!!!!!!

Go Cubs!!!!!!!

Sue: no, not near Marine general; Artistic anglers is on Rice Lake rd. heading north from town. Phone is 218-721-4900. Nice fish:)

YAY someone noticed the hat...Go Cubbies Go...Just got my hat autographed by a couple players...their signature looks good next to the northern patch grin.gif Thanks for the kudos on the catch!