• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North shore or south shore?

FishingPops

Hi,

I have never fished Upper Red but will be taking my 10 yo son ice fishing there this winter. A basic question I have is do people find the fishing better on the south side of the lake or the north side? From what I can tell people generally go out around Rogers campground or from Waskish. Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated. We would be looking for either walleyes, crappies, or perch, not so much northerns.

Thanks!

FishingPops

There is fish all over. Check in at Hillmans they will sell you the bait and point you to a good spot. Get out away from the crowds abit. If nothing in an hour move, try again. Good luck, when are you going, renting a shack, portables, or bringing your own house?

Now I'm a north shore guy, always have been. Although both shores are great but the crappies/walleyes don't live on shore, they live in the middle of the lake where the O2 and temps are good, who is gonna plow you to the middle of the lake?

4wanderingeyes - We are thinking of going early January and renting a sleeper house (probably from Kelly and John based on all the good reports on the site) and bring along a portable in case they weren't biting at the house.

Jon P - I'm not sure I understand your question. Wouldn't the resort we go out of have the roads plowed??

Quote:

Jon P - I'm not sure I understand your question. Wouldn't the resort we go out of have the roads plowed??

Yes they would, but there is a LOT of lake between the north and south shores that never sees a vehicle all winter.

The north shore most definitely gets my vote, better fishing over all and much better service. The resorts on the north side have a big advantage over the “Johnny come lately’s” on the south shore, there is no substitute for experience.

Ken

Thanks for the thoughts! We booked a 2 man sleeper with Kelly P for Jan 2-4th. From past reports it sounds like they try to keep you on fish and have clean houses. That is all you can ask for smile.gif

We will report when we get back-man that seems like a long time to wait.

I'll add another vote to the north. You can't beat the work they do at keeping the road open. With their bridge work expertise I would have thought they would have tried to bid for the 35W job grin.gif

I think you would be good to go with Either the Kelly P or the Foster houses. If you bump into them late at night in the bar put on tall boots though wink.gif