• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DinkADunk

so haaad

DinkADunk-

I know you like the U-40 line of products for (Contact Us Please). But I'm just curious if you would recommend using two coats of High Build on ice rods (instead of just one coat), which would make them a little more durable.

I use flex coat products for finish (U-40 for some other stuff). Anyhow, if you have a good finish on your threads it doesn't matter if you're ice fishing, fly fishing, or muskie fishing. I generally apply two coats of finish (high build or lite) with the first one being rather thin.

I read that some prefer one thick coat, but I've been adding two light coats of Flex Coat to my rods. It's definitely a lot easier to work with a light coat vs a heavy coat. I've noticed that it's a lot easier to evenly distribute a lighter coat, especially near that tip on those small ice rods.

I just built another Thorne Bros Walleye Sweetheart for a friend and reset/rewrapped the guides on an old rod of mine that had seen better days. Both rods had a no-gloss matte color. I added a narrow diamond wrap to each of them, but without an underwrap. I actually thought it looked better without the underwrap on these small diameter rods. I'll see if I can take a couple pictures.