• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

scents?

Dahitman44

What kind of scents do you guys use in the early season? Just wondering what you guys are doing with that. Drip bags, buck bombs etc.

I use regular doe pee -- just checking with you guys.

Thanks

Hit

Dahitman,

I'm with ya on this question. What is everyone using that they feel is a great cover scent and luring product. If possible I would like the names of the product so I can compare with other companies. Personally I'm having a hard time covering my scent and wondering if it will do more damage to use a Red Fox, acorn, pine needle, than nothing at all.

I do wash all my gear and keep in an unscented bag to control the contamination so far.

Any pointers or tips that you have a long history of doing would be great.

mr confused.gif

I only use cover scent until pre-rut, then use an attractant as well. I've tried many brands, and I'm not sure if one works better than the other. I never really count on scent to bring my buck to me, and truthfully, I don't think any of the bucks from recent memory would have not been shot if I didn't use an attractant...

I like the earth scented wafers, I keep on or two in my bag and once the scent disipates and tad I pin one to my hat. Been doing that for about the last 6 or so years and I am happy with the results. The H.S. brand in particular.

I'm still experimenting with attractant (sex) scent during the rut. No results thus far to speak of, but have only been halfheartedly doing it for 2 years.

As far as cover scent - none. Rubber boots and being careful not to sweat have always been enough for me.. but I still think that no matter what, if you are hunting wind wrong you'll get busted.. cover or no cover.

Decided I wouldn't use a scent till the rut. But I used H.S. Raccoon Urine and man did I attract the raccoons last Saturday! One started climbing up my tree! A little scent killer and no-scent soap and hopefully I'm covered when the wind is where its supposed to be.

I find cover scents useless and scent blocker type clothing worthless. If I don't play the wind right, it doesn't seem to matter what scent blockers I am using. I have only anecdotal evidence, and I am not, by far the expert on this subject. Just my two cents.

As far as early season attractant, I use a paint brush to smeer maple syrup or molasses on low hanging tree limbs where I want the deer coming through to stop. For me that has worked well to get their attention, and divert their attention from me. Use what you can.

I believe that syrup and molasses are illegal because it is considered baiting so you may want to think that one over. I like the freshearth wafers myself. Do urine (not estrus) is also a good coverup.

I have never had much luck with scents. I try to stay as clean and scent free as possible, but you can't beat staying downwind. A little woodsmanship goes a lot farther than tricks or gimmics.

I agree wiyh ZDavid unless you zip yourself up in body bag the deer will probably smell you,play the wind..I dont think it hurts though to start putting out some mock scrapes with doe urine and or buck scent now!!!! Get those deer thinking about that area, and maybe visiting it regularly....you may find your scrapes might get mysteriously bigger.....make sure you watch your scent when creating the scrapes...rubber gloves, boots ....good luck

You know , gr81, you might be right about that being bait. It's funny, but the molasses being bait never really dawned on me. I do know that they put out molasses licks, and they are not illegal, and molasses really isn't much of a food. So I don't think that it would be illegal. Anyway do it at your own risk I guess. It works for me.

I use sent all season long. D.D.W. cover sent on all my clothes once I take them out of the sentlock bag. I use the earth/dirt sent waffer inside the bag durring storage. Once in the field I place doe sent out in a couple different areas around my stand. Closer to the rut I will use Buck sent in a couple mock scrapes about 75yds (150yrds between)on either side of my stand on the trail I feel they will most likely use. Once rut is very near I will use both doe and buck along with horns/call. I think it is a good idea to take your sents out of the woods every night. What I use to do that is some old film canisters. I stuff 3-4 cotten balls inside them and once in the stand I add the piss. Paint them bright and use them as yardage markes if you want. Remember to keep the caps so you can put them back on and carry them with you when the night is over.

Another tid bit I do is a sent drag. Many times I cant help but walk in on a deer trail due to the thick cover. Insted of tieing it to my boots I tie it to a stick. Try to stay off the trail a little and drage the wick on the trail. Once by the stand I hang that up too.

With all that being said it sound like I have enough sent in the woods that hunters in Montana could smell it but actually once I'm sitting down I might have 3 within a 50yrd radious.

HootTooten

P.S. fresh sent is KEY!!!!

So far I have to say that my rubber boots are the only thing I can count on being scentless unless I let my dog pee on them. Last night I had 2 fawns and a doe walk under my stand not even a clue that I was above them 15ft. But half hour later 50-100 yards a way Mr. Buck sure new I was there. I was pushing my luck with the wind and did what I told myself what I shouldn't have done. The wind was dead calm if any but it still didn't matter and it cost me a chance at Mr. Big.

Learning from my mistakes. Play the wind or don't go period. I should know better. confused.gif

mr

Meat Run, you are correct. One is better off to have numerous stands for different winds. Those good bucks seem to always know whats up. It will also help if you can to go up the tree another 5 feet.

Harvey,

I look up to you and others for your advice. Thanks for your response!!!

I may not get to involved on some posts but read about everything that is posted or discussed and learning so much from this site. I just can't believe this is even FREE information. Got to love the internet.

mr grin.gif

I think rubber boots help a lot and I wear mine as long as it's not too cold.

I try and mix up my scent. Early season I'll use fox unrine and maybe use earth, apple, or pine depending on my location.

Early season I always try and keep the wind in my favor. I may give it up within the last 2 weeks before gun season. Only reason being that gun season pretty much changes everything.

Big bucks will give up the wind ..... sometimes. The one on the left here did.

According to the Robinson Outdoors DVD "Secrets of the Pros" you should be careful with putting scents (wafers, etc) in you bag when storing your scent blocker clothing. They say the carbon layer is then adsorbing the sent of your wafers, etc. and will clog up the adsorbing ability of your suit faster. They recommend only spraying scent killer in your storage bag. They also make a good point about wearing rubber boots. They say to make sure and pull your pants over the outside of the boot to cover the air flow out (with your scent, etc)from each step. This dvd is pretty informative and gives lots of good ideas on how to elimate scent. Also shows 9 neat hunts.

Wow!

What a great variety of responses. I really enjoy hearing what others use. That's great.

I use scent kill spray, fox urine on rubber boots and scent-lok clothing.

I like the Doe P early and sex scent later

I like the drip bags a lot -- anyone else use them?

Thanks Meat-run. Yeah, my jaw almost bounced off of my stand when he turned and looked my way.

Land owner saw another one like him last Jan. I hope to see him THIS fall. wink.gif

i use coon scents on my boots, I have used trails end #307 in the early season and had some deer stick around. At least they didn't spook from it. This year i am going to try Whitcombs scents during the rut and in use with mock scrapes. but i have at least three weeks before i will start with the scrapes.

A scrape appeared last Sunday about 25 yards from my one stand. When I got there at noon, the branch the buck nipped off the tree was laying in the scrape and the leaves on it hadn't even begun to wilt yet. So, at least some of the bucks are starting to think about scraping already.

As for scents, I use an HS White Oak Acorn wafer (they smell goooood) in the tree with me and in my scent bag with my hunting clothes, HS Doe Estrus wafer on a branch 20 yards or so from my stand, and I use a scent-drag with HS Estrus Plus liquid on it while I walk in.

I don't know that I've ever attracted a deer with the scent, nor do I know that one has ever spooked because of them. I have had both bucks and does approach to sniff and lick the estrus wafers, but I don't know for sure that the wafer is what brought them in to begin with.

I use the scents as much for confidence as anything, but I don't go overboard with them. There was a 7- or 8-year period where I used no scents at all, and I'm not seeing any more deer while using scent than I did not using them.

Quote:

You know , gr81, you might be right about that being bait. It's funny, but the molasses being bait never really dawned on me. I do know that they put out molasses licks, and they are not illegal, and molasses really isn't much of a food. So I don't think that it would be illegal. Anyway do it at your own risk I guess. It works for me.

Here is a post from a previous thread you should check out.

"Ya, i just called the DNR to make sure. They said the same thing. Molasses is illegal to use on deer. However, I spoke with an official DNR officer and he said he doesnt understand it either. He said they just talked about it at over the summer or something and for no obvious/distinctive reason the people that make the laws decided it was considered food. He said they also dont consider it a liquid because it is to viscos. He said he didnt agree with the decision either, and that he understands its a liquid and that other attractive mineral liquids out there contain some of the same ingrediants(sugar and wate). However it is illegal."

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1149691&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

Just trying to keep a fellow hunter from getting into trouble

I used Wildlife Research Center's Trophy Leaf in Doe Estrus last year and they worked great. I had never used scents successfully before and got the leaves as a gift so I thought I would give them a try. After a few days using them with no luck I brought in a nice six pointer who went right to several of the leaves and looked around curious when he didn't find a doe. The next day a nice 10 pointer headed for them again. But I made a mistake on leaf placement and he winded me before he got there. I put them too far down wind and he perked up and then trotted off before I could a shot. On opening rifle morning another nice 10 went right for them and I ended up baggin him. I have two packs ready for this year!

Since we are talking about stuff that is against the law -- I saw this corn rn block that would work really well, I think. Maybe too well. Bought it at a store in Minnesota, but it said on it that it might be baiting. Nice.

Can't believe they can sell that stuff. It looked like a big rice crispy bar for deer. But instead of marshmallows and krispies it had corn and something smelling like apple sauce.

How do they gat away with that?

It's not illegal if you hunt over it or hunt the trail leading to the product that is considered baiting. Now lets please stay on topic of scents and cover ups, thanks.

mr

Sorry but I was answering a question from earlier in the thread and DaHitman was the originator of this thread so he wasn't exactly hijacking his own thread. Just trying to help someone, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

As far as scents etc for me I would think if you are using scents and the scented wind is blowing towards the deer, then isn't your scent going that way too. I have a scentlok suit but still don't think it covers all of your scent. Like said before, if you are hunting the wind correctly and have multiple stand sites, you are probably better off. However scents work wonders for people every year. Gotta love this sport and try your own stuff and see what works. I do use cover scents and usually have the HS earth scent wafers that I too keep in my rubbermaid with all my clothing and also keep one on my hat. The better half hates the smell of it but then again she doesn't come hunting with me either. Love the smell of dirt right!!! grin.gif I do agree with using a drag line when walking to your stand and making some pretty aggressive circles when walking to the stand!! This may bring a deer in closer to get a shot. I LOVE BOWHUNTING!!! SUCH A CHALLENGE AND A REWARDING FEELING WHEN YOU BAG ONE!!!!