• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Report!

Fishing has been nothing short of spectacular! We've been chasing the big crappies and Walleyes the past few days with great success. Caught 22 nice crappies the last day out with the biggest going just over 13, and several nice 12 inch fish. Also caught several big footballs for walleyes. One Walleye we brought in measured 25 inches, and went 8LBS! One beautiful fish! Good Fishing!

RD

Right on RD! I've seen some real footballs too - especially with walleyes in the 24-28" range and also quite a few crappies showing up on several reefs now.

Big pike are joining in on the fall feed too. I've recorded 2 over 20 lbs in the last 2 days. I measured one at 43" last night with a 22-23" girth.

Help, I have been fishing for a week and only found 9 eyes. 4 in redgut bay, 3 around the american narrows and 2 misc. Any information you could give me would be great. They just are not biting. We also spent the day in redgut looking for crappies with no success. We are staying at a resort by Int Falls but I am willing to travel to find fish.

Leaving on Friday so anything today would help.

Thanks

Really laid into them during the mid-day today before being chased off by the hail! Slabs and big eyes! Sounds like we have some wind coming this weekend. Bring extra anchor rope!

RD

• 3 weeks later...

I have had excellent luck on bass and walleye the past three weeks on the reefs. Several bass over 4 pounds with biggest 5lb-6oz. A few walleyes every day with most around 22-26 inches with the biggest a 30" that weighed 10 lb 2 oz. Haven't found any crappie. Pike have been scarce, one or two each day up to 36 inches.

Wednesday Oct. 17 was the slowest day of the month for me. Only 22 fish with the biggest walleye 26 inches, pike 33" and bass 18-1/2". Missed about three out of every four hits. They just were not real interested in eating but would swat the soft plastics I was tossing.

No pictures as I was mostly fishing alone and don't take a camera then.

Oh, all released.

Wow! That is amazing having 22 fish by yourself being the slowest day fishing of the month! Plus missing 3 out of 4 hits. That equates to Having close to 90 hits in a day of fishing all by yourself? Seems like that is a pretty darn good day for most? Figuring your fishing a full 8 hour day that would mean you had a hit about once every 5 minutes. Hmmn! Thats a pretty good "slow" day for every fisherman I know.

RD

Most days lately have been 40-50 fish boated with 80-90% bass. But I generally fish more than 8 hours. Summer was killing me with 16 hours of daylight. October has always been my best month on Rainy.

The first two weeks of August were awesome. Remember, when the wind actually let up for a few days! Flies were biting but so were the fish. I had about 400 fish those two weeks with about 300 pike to 41" and 100 walleye to 29" - but sadly almost none of my most prized smallmouth bass. Out of all the walleyes only two were under 20 inches - good thing I am not after eaters. This was one of my best walleye bites ever on Rainy. Believe it or not, most walleye action in August for walleyes came at high noon, full sun, NO wind and shallow water. Every fish over 26" came in the middle of day! Never did figure out why so many big fish were in shallow water then. I didn't really see much bait but there had to be something drawing em in. Sun sure wasn't bothering em.

Managed to get my bass fix further into Canada (smaller lakes) during summer but never cracked the smallmouth code on Rainy after June ended.

Hello, My husband and I are planning a couple of days up at Rainy Lake later this week and have never been fishing on the lake this late in the year. We are wondering what type of structure and depth cool.gif the fish are hanging out in and what the hot bait is this time of year. We would be fishing for walleye and crappies. Thanks to anyone who can help us out. We love it up there!!!!!!

I have been fishing reefs, 8-20 foot range the best. Got 37 fish yesterday with about half walleyes to 27" (most 22-25") and half bass (mostly smaller 1-3 pounds). Tried again today with Uffda Pete but got blown off after a few hours but did land a porker walleye of 10 lb. 5 oz plus nine other fish.

Best lure Lindy Shanlyn fish hard on bottom. Jig head depending on wind. Had to use 1/4 oz today but 1/8 better if light wind.

Been fighting that wind for two weeks but today God smiled upon me and provided little or no wind. Even got warm so I got to take off one jacket and two hats!

Fished all day. 45 fish. 6 walleyes biggest a 28 inch porker 9 lb 2 oz., 1 pike 32 inches, 38 bass 5 biggest total 22 lb 11 oz., 20-1/2 inch longest bass. All released except one dink 17" walleye that I am going to eat.

If you didn't see the sunset tonight, you missed a beauty. Great ending to a perfect day.

Fished all day Saturday but only got 12 fish. 36" pike & 26" walleye biggest.

HEY CAPTIAN JOHN,

YOU HAD 5 SMALLIES THAT WEIGHED 22+ LBS., YOU HAD BETTER ENTER THE CANADIAN BASS CHAMPIONSHIP & THE I FALLS BASS TOURNEY. LARRY (THE BEAR) BOLLIG WHO IS IN THE MINNESOTA FISHING HALL OF FAME, WHO IS KINDA OF A BASS FISHING LEGEND ON RAINY HAS CAUGHT LESS THEN 10-20"+ BASS ON RAINY, (IN ALL THE YEARS HE HAS BEEN FISHING RAINY) I BELIEVE THE CANADIAN BASS TOURNEY HEAVIEST WEIGHT EVER IS AROUND 24 LBS. & THE I. FALLS BASS TOURNEY RECORD IS LESS THEN 20 LBS., SO IF YOUR CATCHING 22 LB. BAGS, YOU MIGHT AS WELL EARN SOME $$$.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I don't like fishing tourneys. I think they are hard on the resource (and me!). Won't be entering any. Filled in for a guy once and it was more like work than fishing. My catches of bass during the summer tourneys were dismal. So would have had little to weigh in then.

But on the first day of the October tourney I had a bag of 21 lb. 11 oz. fishing independently. Would have put me right up there and had I had a partner might have had even more. All my big fish were caught in middle of day then but early and late have been best lately. Didn't fish the second day but I heard 39 lb won that tourney.

I only landed three bass over 5 pounds all of 2007 5, 5-4, 5-6. last year I had double that with a 5-15 being the biggest (in November!) I have yet to crack 6 pounds on Rainy but come October I can usually get lots of 4s. The places I fish are off limits (thank goodness!) in the October tourney according to Larry. Last year was the best bass fishing I have ever had on Rainy in 35 years but this year weren't half bad!

My first 5 pounder on Rainy was caught fishing with Joe Freedy shortly after the summer tourney in Fort Francis. I think Joe & his partner came in sixth that year. We pulled up on his best spot during the tourney and proceeded to catch about 25 of the most beautiful bass you ever saw all on Zara Spooks. Most were 4 to 4-1/4 but Joe got a 4-12 and I landed a 5-1. He weighed and measured every fish. Of course he wished he had got them in the final day of that tourney as it would have netted him first place.

Haven't caught diddly off that spot since! But I try every once in awhile.

Went the last two days. 46 fish total biggest pike 38", bass 19" walleye 24". Nobody along to take pictures.

Fishing has been exceptional for short periods then almost nothing for hours. On my first spot today I had 3 nice pike and a bass on first four casts. Then a 24" walleye a couple casts later. All on spoons so they were aggressive. Then diddly for hours - go figure.

Gittin ready to leave fer Texas in a week. Visiting daughters fer about 10 days. I'll be back in time for early ice so lets get together than.