Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MBurke

Boat Anchor

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I searched but came up with nothing on this. I am wondering what the best way to rig a River Anchor. I mostly fish in the river with my 16' Alumacraft Magnum. What size rope ? Do I need a length of chain between the anchor and rope ? What is the correct way to rig an anchor ?

Thanks

Mike smile.gif

What size rope? Standard anchor rope, 100' minimum.

Do I need a length of chain between the anchor and rope? Not necessarily.

I think what is more critical than anything is the anchor itself. I dropped the cash on a Richter Anchor(s) for my boat, which is the same size as yours. I specifically have a 25lb off the front of the boat with 100' of rope (no chain). I also run a 25lb off the back when current is less or am in a shifting current situation where I want the back of the boat to remain still. By shifting current, I mean I am ON a seam or fishing the eddy side of a seam. Wind will cause me to toss the back anchor as well.

I have found that I need less rope to fish a Richter than a waterspike. With a waterspike, a guy really needs the chain to keep the angle of the rope low. If you don't, you just won't get it to grab.

Another drawback to a waterspike is they are light, they get swept back in the current when you are dropping them. The only good thing is they typically hold very well once they dig in.

There are a few other anchors in between these two in their designs- the Navy & River style anchor. In both cases, weight of the anchor really helps. Go heavy! Especially in the river.

I second the richter anchor I have had mine for almost 10 years. They cost a little more, but are very much worth it. I fish the river with mine, I never had it snagged so it woudnt come out. Once you own one you know you have a good anchor, as Hanson stated you need less rope, which inturn will hold the boat more stable then if you have all the extra rope out to keep the anchor at the proper angle to hold you.

I third!!!

I fourth! I have a 25lb Richter! Best anchor on the planet for any situation!

I made it threw the first season with mine and rubber is still all there laugh.gif.

I thought I lost it on the Croix last weekend. We moved forward and then turned around with trolling motor and pop, it was out. Wheeeu!!!!

I love my Richter.

On clay or soft bottom in fast current in spring, it holds. You can also pull it up a little and let back down to move boat and control boat in current. When barge is coming, I would pull up a little and let current and anchor guide my closer to shore. Cool!