• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone have experience with Abu-Garcia Linecounters?

hanson

Question

I'm an Abu-Garcia nut. grin.gif

I love my Cardinal spinning reels and Ambassadeur baitcasters, can't say enough good things about those reels.

But I have a question, I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a Garcia linecounting reel for fall trolling. The reel is essentially a 5500 or 6500 with a linecounter on it. Does anyone have firsthand experience with the linecounting function they'd care to share. I trust the reel implicitly, but am wondering how the linecounting function works.

I know others on the board here really like their Daiwa Sealines but I'd like to stick to Garcia unless there is a very, very good reason not too. Shimano Tekota is another dandy linecounting baitcaster but thats above what I want to spend. The Daiwa and the Garcia are dead even cost wise. Any thoughts?

16 answers to this question

Chris I have a 5500 and I really like it. I haven't used it that much. But I will probably get some more of these some day. Now if you are just going to rig Mono a 5500 is just fine. If you want to run lead core though you will want a 6500. I would say they are pretty comparable though for quality to the sealines, and Cablea's depthmaster gold series. Now if you aren't going to use them alot I would look at the basic Cabela's depthmasters line counter they don't have the quality of the others mentioned but for the occastional user they are fine. I have a couple of these for in my boat when other people come with me. A 30 model will be good for lead core and a model 20 will be good for mono.

I do know you though Chris and I know you like good equipment so you should be really happy with a Garcia. Those shimano tekota are nice but man are they spendy.

I personally have 1 Abu 5500 and a 1 Cablea's Gold Depthmaster that are mine that I use. Then I have two basic depthmaster for other people that come with me.

I haven't used Garcia line counters but at one time I was looking at an end-plate they have (or had) that would let you convert an existing Garcia baitcasting reel into a line counting reel. The reports on the replacement end-plate weren't very good, and it was spendy, so I never went that route. I have no idea how that compares to the line counters they sell now. I really don't recall hearing much good or bad about their line counters, although like you say, they make great reels.

I have a 5500 that I use for pike fishing that I've trolled with before. The line guide moves across the spool as the line plays out allowing you to easily count passes. I did some testing with mine and figured out it was letting out about 9-10 feet per pass, so using that info I figured out how many passes I needed and then adjusted from there - ie. 7.5 passes was about 75 feet, etc. It's effective.

There's one or two line counters that you clip to your rod and run your line through, I think Shakespeare and Rapala each sell one. I've never used them but have heard decent reports on them. I think they cost around $20, maybe less.

I have Sealines, a couple larger ones (27's) for planer boards and lead core, and a couple smaller ones (17s) for flatlines, and have been very happy with them.

Not sure if this helps or not but good luck grin.gif

Quote:

Those shimano tekota are nice but man are they spendy.

The Tekota's are on sale at FleetFarm right now but they are quite spendy even with the discount.

I keep looking at them in the case everytime I go there which is 2 or 3 times a week I'm probably going to pull the trigger next time in.

How much are the ABU 5500 line counters?

Quote:

How much are the ABU 5500 line counters?

Reeds has them advertised at $99.99 for the 5500, $109.99 for the 6500. These are comparable to the "new" Garcia reels with the Carbon Matrix drag, etc. Both reels currently have the $10 mail in rebate from Abu. These prices are within $10 bucks of what the Daiwa Sealines are selling for.

I had also just read somewhere that Garcia is releasing a 7000 size linecounter soon as well. Now that would be a great high capacity linecounter.

Like I said earlier, I like Garcia a ton, enough to run (3) 7000 C3s and (3) 6500 C3s for cattin, and a couple Cardinal spinning reels for my "other" rods.

I'm really thinking of just going with the Garcia but I have read soooooo much about the Sealines online here that it makes me wonder. Are the Sealines that great or do folks just not have enough experience with the Garcias?

Quote:

I do know you though Chris and I know you like good equipment...

There's an understatement. grin.gif

The best of the best (that I can afford). smile.gif

I have a 6500LC mainly for inland Lake Trout. I brought it up to the BWCA to use as my bait caster and found that the line counter is a pain to cast. I'm assuming that the actual mechanism in the counter is creating some drag on the spool. I've never encountered so much backlash. The actual counter is great and I have yet to have any issues with it.

Hanson,

I have two 5500 Abu line-counters. Bought them both this spring and have used them quite a bit. Not one problem with them. I really like the lower profile of the counter on these reals as compared with the sealines. They fit better and less tangles etc. while storing/traveling and such. I have many of the Abu reels and have used them for years. My suggestion to you would be simple----if you like what you already have then you will also like their linecounters. Solid/dependable reels inside and out.

My thoughts on lincounters goes as follows.

I have 3 Tekota LC 300's, no doubt they are the best but close to 2 bills each and worth every penny. I have 5 Sealines, 2 47's, two 27's and a 17 and they are nice, not Tekota nice by any means but nice except they don't have a microclick drag which is annoying. Another better than Sealine linecounter option that most trollers don't know about is the Tica Seaspirit. I have 4 Seaspirit's and recommend the 248 for what you're doing.

Here's a pic of the Tica from my rodlocker and it's the same size as a 47 Sealine but built much better, more bearings, microclick drag, etc. and costs less. You have to hunt around a little online to find the Seaspirits but they go for around $80.

I have never tried the Ambassedeur's so I don't know about those but these Tica's are ROCK SOLID trolling reels just like their Cetus's that most ice guys are familiar with.

rodlocker.jpg

Good thread.

If I'm not mistaken the Tekota line counter 300 or 400's are on sale for $139 or $149 and Fleet Farm.

I doubt they are that cheap unless they are display models but who knows for sure?

Insurance Guy can e-mail me about those Tica Seaspirits. I would really like to try 1 out.

Quote:

Good thread.

If I'm not mistaken the Tekota line counter 300 or 400's are on sale for $139 or $149 and Fleet Farm.

I think that is for the non-linecounter Tekotas.

They were definitley line counters in the glass case and I know they were not over $149 for sure these were 300 or 400's not the 500 or 600's.

Quote:

I brought it up to the BWCA to use as my bait caster and found that the line counter is a pain to cast.

You've got to thumb 'em quite a bit, and also crank down the spool tensioner like crazy. While Pauldowski and Mark Stanley were hand-paying till their wrists were sore last fall on Mille Lacs, I was fan casting the shoreline AND getting back to 85ft before they could say "Husky Jerk." smile.gif

Joel

Quote:

They were definitley line counters in the glass case and I know they were not over $149 for sure these were 300 or 400's not the 500 or 600's.

My bad. I didn't see them at Brooklyn Park.

Due to the responses in this topic, Abu it will be. grin.gif

Thanks guys for your insight, I'll relay experiences either positive or negative.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Chris,

I almost pulled the trigger on a rod reel combo at Reeds this summer for that same price. It should work out nicely for you. Those that have them have liked them from what I've head.